Chinese-Forums

Teaching English Without The Proper Visa / Permit

Beth Reynolds

Hello, everyone.

I would like to know if anyone is teaching English in China on a Business (F) visa and whether or not it is entirely recommended these days. (PM me if needed)

I would like to teach English as a volunteer in rural China (or, anywhere in China that is safe). I was unable to finish college, therefore, I have no degree, no certificate and no teaching experience (not including language exchange). I am 29, own a business here in the States and speak a small amount of Mandarin (lived in Guangzhou for a short time nearly a decade ago).

I wouldn't mind just volunteering, as food/accommodation is typically provided. However, it would be ideal if I were able to earn money while I was teaching. Aside from medical/travel insurance, I would need money for visa runs to/from Shenzhen/HK and would also like some spending money for travel/eating out etc.

I have been told that I can obtain a Business (F) visa and register with the PSB as a volunteer for the school. I guess I would like to know if there are any schools that would be willing to pay me under the table, provide accommodation/sponsorship and call it 'volunteering'.

I would like to stay in China for a year (maybe longer). ;-)

Thank you all.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

The short of it:

Is working on a business visa legal? No.

Are people (teachers) working in China on business visas? Yes.

Could you get in trouble if you were caught? Technically, yes. Realistically, you won't get caught or bothered unless whatever school you end up working for / volunteering with rubs some official the wrong way. In this case, you're likely to just be asked to leave the city.

If you're looking to do things on the up and up, any volunteer organization worth working with will be able to provide legal work documentation, as will any lawful employer of foreign teachers.