Chinese-Forums

杏仁豆腐

Bob Dylan Thomas

xingren doufu is one of my favourite Chinese dishes - when i used to live in Tianjin it consisted of a few big chunks of piping hot tofu with a fairly sweet dark sauce and carrot, cucumbers and (of course) whole almonds. then i ordered the same thing in Taiwan, which came as silken tofu strongly scented with a sweet almond flavour, usually served with shaved ice (刨冰). the sweet taiwanese version was even better than the savoury mainland dish.

my question is, has anyone seen the sweet shaved ice version in the mainland? i always consider myself a tofu master, but was fairly rattled by the totally different dishes with the same name. also, how do the taiwanese get that brilliant fragrant taste into the tofu?

curses! my favourite dish ruined! the deception! how dare they! i can't believe it was gelatine all along. never again will i be able to make the ol' "我爱吃豆腐" joke (possibly a blessing) - "我爱吃明胶" just ain't the same.

if Taiwan was a member of the EU this would never have happened. The EU even made the name "soya milk" illegal; our cartons here in the UK are now labelled "soya based alternative to dairy drink". and now i'm grateful for it, at least you know what you're getting (sort of).

mind you... 杏仁明胶 doesn't sound too appetising either.