Chinese-Forums

Korean TV series

skylee

If unconditional love touches you, you might also be interested in my latest favourite "Orange Days" (Japanese drama). It is about a deaf girl...

And like 슬픈연가, there are disability and unconditional love

Haha, well I am not going to go that far :lol:

Actually the main reason why I watched 슬픈연가 was because I identified with Kwon's character and saw parallels with it. Not going to go into any details there. :mrgreen: Plus Kim Hee Sun had a certain subtlety that was similar to what I have seen in my own experiences.

Screw Winter Sonata. A brother and sister making love? Get real, I'm done with Korean dramas. (for now) 8)

太祖王建 is the best series I have watched so far.

For the love drama series, frankly speaking, I cannot stand the Korean style story line.

But after watching a few episodes of 帝国之晨 -- the sequel to 太祖王建, I quitted.

Even though the scenery is fantastic (the film crew made the first two episodes on the Chinese side of Chang Baishan/ Mt. Paektu), the story is very disheartening.

Just down to the second generation of Koryo Dynasty, their royal family already started to indulge in palace intrigue -- brothers fighting each other, cousins plotted to kill the other,.....etc.

This is interesting -> 究竟是什麼讓韓劇笑傲江湖?—韓劇之必殺連環計

韓劇標準定律

●女主角若在劇中病死,得的準是白血病。

●男主角若發生意外則多為車禍。

●女主角出身貧寒。

絕招二:編劇有深厚的文學功底

絕招三:演員精挑細選偶像推陳出新

絕招四:鋪陳場面“煽情”音樂畫龍點睛

BTW, bhchao, they ain't brother and sister. :D

Could anyone tell me if 明成皇后 is good or bad? The video shop owner has recommended it (though she seems to recommend everything in her shop), but the series is soooo long ...

BTW, is the title role the one killed by the Japanese?

韓劇標準定律

●女主角若在劇中病死,得的準是白血病。

●男主角若發生意外則多為車禍。

●女主角出身貧寒。

絕招二:編劇有深厚的文學功底

絕招三:演員精挑細選偶像推陳出新

絕招四:鋪陳場面“煽情”音樂畫龍點睛

二,三,四同港劇有鮮明對比!

hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you get to watch that series? And do you understand Korean?

Good question. I was wondering how come you never asked that question. :D I understand some Korean, because my grandmother is Korean. But I don't know enough to get by the program on my own. So sometimes I have to ask her "What happened? What happened?" when both of us are watching the program.

During the last episode of 슬픈연가, my uncle's wife, who never watched a Korean television series before, got hooked and stayed the whole night until the episode finished. She had to completely rely on my grandmother for assistance.

Actually the love triangle in 슬픈연가 kind of resembles the love triangle in House of Flying Daggers. Kim Hee Sun's rich fiance resembles Andy Lau's character in House. Both male characters are possessive and won't let go of the woman of their desires. In Kim Hee Sun's case, her heart belongs to Kwon, the man who always protected her since childhood. He has the ability (albeit sadly) to let her go. She is happy everytime she is with him, but gloomy when she is with the rich boyfriend.

The latter knows that her heart lies with Kwon, but still won't let go of her. What the later episodes reveal should be quite interesting.

By the way, Choi Ji Woo is pretty only when she does not put on any makeup. I think she puts on too much makeup. Some people say that she is overrated in terms of her acting ability. However you might think otherwise.

金喜善 is outstanding in the way she expresses her emotions in 슬픈연가. I can't imagine Choi Ji Woo being in the role, but that is just my first impression of Choi. She could be outstanding in Winter Sonata.

Not that I would ever cheat on my gf, but Kim Hee Sun is the only gal that I would ever cheat for if given the chance. :D

But the chance is sooooooooooooooooo slim ... :mrgreen:

Since you've talked so much about this series, I have ordered the DVD and I plan to finish them during the easter holidays (I will be travelling but will bring a DVD player with me). Meanwhile I have to finish 봄날 (Spring Day)... I can type korean too :lol:

Skylee, in case you were wondering what 슬픈연가 looks like onscreen, you might want to take a look at this link, http://www.20six.co.uk/nonny/weblogCategory/fb9ye7hvhx3 and under Friday, 18 March 2005 (YTN news ... review Sad Sonata), there is a video previewing the entire series.

Simply click the play button and the video will immediately start rolling. I just could not resist clicking the play button. In the middle of the video (I haven't got to that episode yet), Kwon even steps in front of his best friend (Kim's rich fiance) to prevent his friend from being shot by an assailant inside the house. Kwon takes two bullets in the upper body as he is shielding his friend. Later you see the friend carry Kwon on his back to safety.

At the end of the video, the two former childhood buddies look on from the audience as the beautiful Kim sings a song onstage.