Chinese-Forums

The Official: What is used with greater consistency!?!??!

xuechengfeng

Xingqi is more common on the mainland, as libai has religious connotations and was 'discouraged' for a period of time. It's heard more and more often though now.

If you want to be formal, you might want to try 周. If you want to confuse people, try saying things like '我星期三没时间,礼拜三怎么样?'

Roddy

漢堡(包)

It is 漢堡包 in HK. I have the impression that it is also so in the Mainland. (I remember my Putonghua teacher, who was from BJ, spent plenty of time teaching us how to pronounce bao1 properly.) It does seem that it is simply called 漢堡 in Taiwan.

Anyways, I think you can compare the names of hamburger in the following websites ->

http://www.mcdonalds.com.hk/chinese/products/prod3.htm (I think the 飽 used in this website is wrong, very disappointing.)

http://www.mcdonalds.com.cn/products1.htm

(The taiwan McDonald's website has the same url with a ".tw" suffix. But each time I accessed it I got a warning of this virus - "PWSteal.Trojan". So I don't post a link here.)

I think very often it's just a mainland/Taiwan difference. Like libai/xingqi, and gei ni da dianhua/da dianhua gei ni.

How about zhongtou/xiaoshi? I learned zhongtou first, but never heard it IRL, neither in Beijing nor in Taiwan.