Chinese-Forums

A Shanghainese dialogue (with audio)

ala

:D Excellent word for word Cantonese translation above. This dialogue matches nearly word for word in almost all Chinese dialects (except Minnan). I think if all major dialects were to be romanized, it would only help to preserve them, because if the above dialogue were written in characters the dialects would be almost indistinguishable and the reader would be using Mandarin to pronounce the characters. Romanization provides a coherent picture: subtle or not so subtle variations would no longer be dismissed as "dialectical" but rather part of the whole dialect.

I'll try to get an audio clip by tomorrow. But how does the below look like Vietnamese? BTW, the -er is like the -er terminal in High German (as in aber or Pfeifer), an "open" schwa sound.

A: Chin mehn, non schoter Dusikeu laeler älitach va?

B: Um, verschoter.

A: Kaemach, non schoter-verschoter Vujin youter sa hoäch Síti va?

B: Teivatchi, wo ä verschoter.

A: Séulach, shjaya non o.

B: Vio shja.

What is beikow ?

BTW, "vio" [viO] is 覅 and means 别 or 不要

ä [a"] or [ha] is 也

älitach [a"lit6?] is 何里塔/嗄里塔 and means 哪里/何处

laeler [l6'l6?] is 勒了 and somewhat means 在

youter [j"γut6?] is 有得 and means 有

sa [sa] is 啥 and means 什么

shjaya [Zia j"a] is 谢谢

non [no~] is 侬 and means 你

verschoter [v6'SiOt6?] is 勿晓得 and means 不知道. verschoter is the only way to say "don't know" (non-recognition form of know) in Shanghainese (知道 is never used). Recognition "to know" is ninter 认得 (认识 is never used).

What is beikow ?

比較

I think Quest is trying to do the Cantonese equivalent of your Shanghainese dialogue in his own romanization. Here are the corresponding characters for Cantonese:

A: 請問,你知唔知圖書館喺邊呀? (唔 = 不; 喺 = 在; 邊 = 哪裡; 呀 = question ending particle)

B: Erm,唔知。

A: 噉呀,你知唔知附近有冇啲比較好嘅書店呀? (噉 = 這樣; 冇 = 沒有; 啲 = 些; 嘅 = 的)

B: 對唔住,我都係唔清楚。 (對唔住 = 對不起; 係 = 是)

A: 算喇,唔該晒。 (喇 = 了; 唔該 = 謝謝; 晒 = verbal particle that gives the meaning, "completely")

B: 唔使唔該。 (唔使 = 不用)

• 1 month later...
Na yize tanseu sazenkuan ho né zanhe.com äch Tewo ze schaho? É zi tzenbe iegnegne lei?

Tanseu iegnegne lei va... tzéujin zaeze mer Zenkuan, éyou, tóti Manze ínke zi tzou sa Fánshan é mer tsaeti cyuedinho le :(...

Tzénäch fízan keushja non äch Tzízi, schíwan ciánle tú thínto non äch Íci. :clap

^^^ translation? all I could pronounce was "yize"(now) and I don't know about "na"

Hehe, na = you (plural). yize = now. tanseu = to plan. sazenkuan = when. né = [object preposition]. Tewo = dialogue. ze = completely, all. schaho = finish writing. é zi = or, otherwise. tzenbe = to plan or prepare. iegnegne = a little. lei = to come.

• 9 months later...