Chinese-Forums

One Night In Shanghai...

aroberts42

speaking of scammers wanting to practice english and other kind of scams, do you think ill be safe enough if i can speak chinese ? like they wont venture to scam me if they see that i can understand everything that they are saying to each other ?

Frapunchino: unless your Chinese is very good indeed and the scammers are kind enough to speak Mandarin and not a dialect and actually need to confirm the details of their scam in front of you instead of agreeing on them beforehand, it might help. More reliable ways to avoid scams: make sure you ask the price of everything before you buy, use, eat or drink it. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Compare prices at other shops before buying (but not after buying! Haggle down to a price you like, buy and then just enjoy your new purse/dvd/pony for the price you were willing to pay for it). When buying electronics or renting apartments or such things, check whether everything works as it should before paying. Keep the address and phone number of your hotel at hand, as well as the phone number of the police. China is not a dangerous country but cheating can be an issue.

• Like 1

speaking of scammers wanting to practice english and other kind of scams, do you think ill be safe enough if i can speak chinese ? like they wont venture to scam me if they see that i can understand everything that they are saying to each other ?

Doesn't help. They are pros. They will compliment your great Chinese, and proceed with plan B. Follow Lu's advice, above.

oh ok all the scam alerts i've read on the net were about english-speakers so i thought.. but yeah i forgot they can speak Wuyu..which i dont understand...i'd read that they prey most on alone males [ that might most be attracted by the sexy chinese gurls wanting to "practice their english"..] around main touristic areas like nanjing lu...it can become a problem here since i'll be travelling alone, im male, and im planing to spend most of my time in shopping areas like super brand mall, the fake market at nanjingxilu, changle lu, qitailu, mulinglu, hengshan lu... am i at major risk ?

It is very likely you'll be approached. Do not go anywhere with them. I wouldn't even bother going somewhere safe like a KFC for a coffee with them, as once they think you'll spend time with them they'll stick around for hours trying to maneuver you into their bar or tea shop or gallery. Just keep doing what you're doing and they'll get bored.

I put some advice that might be helpful in a post above, if you take that into account you should be alright. Don't loose your head just because a pretty woman appears to be interested in you.