Chinese-Forums

Does My Contract Sound Legit?

JayW

Yeah, that does sound a bit fishy. ;)

The rest doesn't sound like a scam; why would you think it is?

I hear allot of horror storys..

ur scarying me right now lol.

is there a reason they would want me out there?

or is this a for sure thing?

i mean, i sighned and there staying in contact with me... what could else could they get from me?

they don't want money, they just want me out there...

I don't know how they could be scamming me, I mean the contract is signed by us both

Well, they might be planning to laugh in your face when you refer to the contract after teaching 50 hours in your first week. Do your research on the school, then decide whether or not to take the plunge. There are good and bad schools out there, and a bit of a leap of faith may be required.

Edit: And raise your level of English or certain people will be along to tell you you shouldn't even be coming to China.

Well, they might be planning to laugh in your face when you refer to the contract after teaching 50 hours in your first week. Do your research on the school, then decide whether or not to take the plunge. There are good and bad schools out there, and a bit of a leap of faith may be required.

Edit: And raise your level of English or certain people will be along to tell you you shouldn't even be coming to China.

My English is fine. I'm just tired, and I didn't expect criticism.

I understand your just being helpful, and I take no offense to your comment.

Thank you for the quick replys.

lol i said fine, not great.

anyways, I would still like some more opinions.

If you want to post the actual contract it might be helpful. Otherwise based on all the information you've provided I doubt that they are trying to screw you out of anything. If anything your offer is a bit low in my opinion. Then again I've never taught in Beijing and I have experience as well as 6 months to go on my MSEd. So since I don't know what your qualifications are I can't really comment on that.

Most of this seems like a fairly standard teaching contract. I didn't read through it all, but there were a couple of things I spotted that might be worth more attention:

5-every 6month pay 3000RMB as visa allowance . or visa help extension

What kind of visa are you going on? It seems strange to be giving you a "visa allowance". If the school is legally entitled to employ foreigners, they should handle the visa (or residence permit actually) for you, and should be able to arrange it for your entire period of employment, or at least one year, and not with 6-monthly extensions as seems to be implied in the contract.

6- Termination:

1-The contract can be terminated only with the agreement of both parties. Any Party wishing to terminate the contract must give 60-day prior written notice to the other party. The notice has to be based on a sufficient justification and evidence for the termination.

2-Party B will be dismissed with fifteen days’ notice, and this agreement or the contract will be terminated, in the event that Party B uses more than one week of sick days; 2. Party B uses more than three personal business days. 3. Party B receives evaluation ratings of ‘Unsatisfactory’ from her/his students and from the school’s coordinator.

Most contracts also have clauses such as these in them. They are usually quite ambiguous and slanted in favour of the employer. When I was faced with such a contract, I insisted on having it changed. Basically, as it stands, either party can terminate the contract with 60-days notice, based on sufficient justification and evidence. But what is "sufficient justification and evidence"? Essentially, the school will dictate whether your reason is valid or not, and you will be pretty powerless to do anything about it (save for taking legal action, which will almost certainly be more hassle than it's worth).

Also, "Party B will be dismissed with fifteen days’ notice...in the event that...Party B receives evaluation ratings of ‘Unsatisfactory’ from her/his students and from the school’s coordinator" means that if they want to fire you for whatever reason, they don't need to give 60 days notice, because the school's coordinator can just say your work is unsatisfactory.

As I say, many contracts are like this, so I don't think this school is scamming you in particular, but I don't think I'd accept the contract in this form.

Most of this seems like a fairly standard teaching contract. I didn't read through it all, but there were a couple of things I spotted that might be worth more attention:

What kind of visa are you going on? It seems strange to be giving you a "visa allowance". If the school is legally entitled to employ foreigners, they should handle the visa (or residence permit actually) for you, and should be able to arrange it for your entire period of employment, or at least one year, and not with 6-monthly extensions as seems to be implied in the contract.

Most contracts also have clauses such as these in them. They are usually quite ambiguous and slanted in favour of the employer. When I was faced with such a contract, I insisted on having it changed. Basically, as it stands, either party can terminate the contract with 60-days notice, based on sufficient justification and evidence. But what is "sufficient justification and evidence"? Essentially, the school will dictate whether your reason is valid or not, and you will be pretty powerless to do anything about it (save for taking legal action, which will almost certainly be more hassle than it's worth).

Also, "Party B will be dismissed with fifteen days’ notice...in the event that...Party B receives evaluation ratings of ‘Unsatisfactory’ from her/his students and from the school’s coordinator" means that if they want to fire you for whatever reason, they don't need to give 60 days notice, because the school's coordinator can just say your work is unsatisfactory.

As I say, many contracts are like this, so I don't think this school is scamming you in particular, but I don't think I'd accept the contract in this form.

lol well i wish i posted this sooner, cuss i accepted awhile ago.

and im going to beijjing, and you need 2 years of work experience for an Z visa, which i brought to there attension.

so im going to get an F visa.

and since they hired me so easily, im sure they don't expect to much of me.

I think if i show up every day and do my best, im set.

This is odd, I had no experience before coming to teach in china and I got a z visa. I'd be very reluctant to work on any other type of visa.

its 2 years anything experience, so like any work.

2 years cooking is fine, half a year of wrestling with a year and a half of training seals is fine lol.

and i just got an email back from them, apparently, i am not of age to get an F visa.

they told me to go to the embassy and not mention my age.

im 21, what age do i have to be? is this a big deal? as i said, i have to go work with them, as ive signed a contract.

i also just got an offer from another school, haven't seen a contract yet.. but its too late right?

'Go to the embassy and not mention your age' - sound like idiots. But at 21 you're likely to end up working for the dodgier schools anyway.

well what else are they going to say, I mean i have no other choice right?

im just worried if ill be able to get away with it... don't i need ID?

Don't be mean now :P

JayW, the contract says they are responsible for all legal documents right?

They've already breached the contract by suggesting you do something illegal.

Just send them an email saying if 21 if not old enough then the contract is void.

IMHO they're just trying to save face by not telling you outright they don't want to honor the contract.