Chinese-Forums

Heilongjiang University - Heida 2010

Andrew987

Has anyone here currently at Heida or been there in the past semester or two for Mandarin study? If so, what are class sizes like? language level? average cost of apartment off campus? also, I read on this forum class fees are paid each week. How many times a week/ hours does that include?

Also, regarding class sizes, I heard if most students are asian, even if there are 10 students in class, they are not willing to speak much, so you can have lots of chances to speak. Is that true?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I'd like some info on Heilongjiang Uni too. I'm trying to apply...Can anyone give me some details on applying? I've sent them everything and they redirected me to laihua, where I applied again. It seems like they don't take applications directly? Rather we should apply through whatever scholarship we are applying for? I really want to study there next term but so far this application process seems much more complicated than the other unis I've applied to.

• 3 months later...

Class sizes in 黑大 are normally about 20-25 as I recall which are mostly Koreans and Russians.

Language level depends on which class you are in, at the beginning of the semester you will do a placement exam.

Average cost for off campus accomodation? That really depends, if you're living with someone else, maybe 500-700 per person, if you're on your own I'd expect anything from 1000 - 1600. But this can vary greatly due to your personal standards and availability. At this time many owners are not very willing to rent to foreigners due to new rental tax laws...

"Also, I read on this forum class fees are paid each week"

Fees are usually paid per semester, but maybe with some short term programs (a month or so) they may do it differently.

Per week expect classes Monday = Friday 8am - 12:30am with a few short breaks in between. (It's been a while - something like that)

"Also, regarding class sizes, I heard if most students are asian, even if there are 10 students in class, they are not willing to speak much, so you can have lots of chances to speak. Is that true?"

There's always lots of chances to speak, but whoever told you the asians in the class are not willing to speak is full of...

For application details:

http://www.studyathlju.com/EN/