Chinese-Forums

Crumble

Bob Dylan Thomas

I'm not expecting an answer for this but you never know, some people have plenty of time on their hands.

last night i baked the finest Apple Crumble in history (all 5000 years of it) and left a note for my Chinese flatmates inviting them to eat "苹果派".

the crumble was delicious, but unfortunately a furious debate ensued when it was pointed out that a Crumble is different from a Pie. I felt hurt by the attack on my Chinese and have been pondering this issue ever since.

So..... can anyone suggest a nice brief alternative Chinese word for "Crumble", as opposed to "派"? Since "派" is transliterated itself, it's unlikely that another word has made it into the Chinese language. "Crumble" also doesn't transliterate nicely ("克鲁木布" anyone?) so maybe it's time to coin one, perhaps as part of Roddy's complication of Chinese project? Suggested components include 火 (for the baking),果 (fruit), 面 or 麦 (for the topping).

[NOTE: for those of you who don't know, a Crumble is a delicious pudding consisting of a thick layer of fruit, usually rhubarb or apple, with a crusty topping made of flour, oats, sugar and margerine, and optional ginger, cinnamon and dessicated coconut, baked at 180 degrees for 45 minutes. It is different from a pie in that pies usually have a complete outer layer (including base and sides) made of fattening pastry, whilst crumbles only have a crust on the top. Chinese cuisine may the finest in the world, but it would benefit from a few more home-baked Crumbles.

For a picture and baking hints, visit:

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Britain/Food/Cooking/Crumble.htm ]

• 16 years later...

There's a foreigner on YouTube now showing Chinese how to make rhubarb crumble, and he calls it 酥皮大黄布丁.

His crumble looks pretty good, though myself I wouldn't use oats. But I just don't see it as a 布丁.

Maybe we could best just call it a "bake," as in 酥皮烤大黄, or 酥皮烤苹果 if your taste runs to apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louNUgaLF4M