Chinese-Forums

Dorm Room Booking at BLCU

AlexanderH

Can anyone tell me where/how to reserve a room online, or if the only way is in person?

The acceptance packet for Fall 2010 at BLCU says: "Book a room: 1. Housing Center 2. Home for internatinoal students (building 17), 3. Conference center. It gives me phone numbers, but it doesn't say whether or not I can do this before arrival or after. It then gives a list of other things I need to do when I get there, but it implies that these are things I should do upon arrival. Is there really no way to have a dorm set up before hand?

Does anyone know? Is the "ONLY" way to get your room set to show up a few days before and then get everything set up? I WILL be in town several weeks early, so I can do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am wondering.

I arrive in Beijing about a week before the registration date that was written on the admission package. I would prefer to go in person to reserve a room, rather than calling.

So is it thinkable? Will all/most dorms be reserved a week before registration?

I heard that you normally have to give a deposit, like a month...

• 11 months later...

Pascal, I am going to start classes from 5th September and still am completely clueless about how to book a dorm.

I have read on forums that you should arrive a week earlier and claim your room. On asking a native friend to call BLCU and ask [they do not speak in English. How weird is that for a university especially meant for foreigners?] about this, and they said the dorms get free after 10th July, so that is when I could make a booking. They also mentioned something about a RMB2400 "earnest money" When I dropped BLCU email, they said they are NOT responsible for dorms and I should contact the dormitory directly which, take a guess, does not have an "email box."

I'm guessing you two have figured out the thing by now? This post is 2 years old! What was the deal? How did you guys go about it?

prateeksha,

I had a Chinese friend call up and book a room at the Conference Centre on my behalf. Tell them the dates you want the room reserved for. When you get there you will have to pay a deposit but I can't remember how much it is - perhaps one month's rent.

The Housing Centre (+86-10-82303300) should speak English but I don't expect they will at any of the dorms. If you can, use any Chinese you know to have your name put in the reservation book and give them the dates you want a room reserved for. If done in advance this should be no problem in my experience.

If you turn up to campus without accommodation booked you may very well not get any, or you might just get some for the very short-term and then have to find alternative accommodation thereafter.

What is your budget and are you staying in scholarship dorms? If you have any more specific questions I will try my best to answer them.

• Like 1

On my arrival end of august last year, I went straight to the Housing Centre, without having previously called them.

They did not speak english, but maybe 2-3 words. I was lucky to have met someone who spoke some chinese and could help me, but the process is relatively simple.

They asked me to pay for a full semester right there. Lot of money, but they take credit cards.

Also, if you decide to leave the dorms to go in an apartment in the middle of the semester, they give you the money back for what's left. The only thing is when paying for a whole semester, you get a better "Long-term" price which you lose if you leave early.

They offered me either dorm 6 or 7, I chose 7. Dorms are fine really. Conference center is more expensive, but probably easier to reserve from away. But I was under the impression that there should be no problem getting a room unless you arrive really last minute.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Like 1

The BLCU Blog, no I'm not a scholarship student. I am coming as a corporate nominee from a consulting firm in India :)

I'm not keen on Conference Centre. I would be happy to get myself a double-occupancy room in Dorm 17 as first preference. But that seems a little tough since Dorm 17 is very much in demand. Which are the other good dorms? I want a twin-shared room in any dorm, PREFERABLY with heating for winters. I cannot stand cold weather. I am from New Delhi where the highest temperature crosses 45 degree Celsius in summers!

Can we book a room for the dorms as well like you did for the conference centre?

Pascal Ma, your reply is pretty reassuring. I am planning to reach the campus on 25th August, though my session starts on 5th September. I have done way too much research on all this which I just summed up here: http://prateekshahastogotobeijing.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/booking-a-dorm-at-blcu-t-o-r-t-u-r-e/

I have a couple of Chinese-speaking friends call the Housing Centre and they mentioned about sending certain amount of "earnest money" towards booking the dormitory. What do you have to say about this? Am I going to be early enough by reaching on 25th August so as to be able to book a dorm without any hassle?

And of course the long-term pricing! The rates stated on the website says RMB40-65 for a double-sharing room. How much were you charged when you paid for the entire semester upfront? I have no problem with dorms and their condition as I have read on the forum :)

prateeksha,

I believe you should be able to get a Dorm 17 double-room booked if you call up but I don't know that arriving 10 days early will secure that since it is the single most popular place to stay on campus. It is also notorious for Korean agencies to book out entire floors for their large clients lists. You will have to be quick and proactive if you want to get a spot there. Otherwise you could try you're luck when you arrive but I think you're chances will be a lot slimmer by then.

As far as the other dorms are concerned, I'm afraid I've only been into Dorm 1 (mainly scholarship students) and found the rooms to be very reasonable and as spacious as Dorm 17. You will not have any problems with heaters as the heating in dorms is centralised and turned on throughout the building once it begins getting cold. However, I did find at the Conference Centre last year that they turned the air conditioning on quite late during the summer months and we had to suffer nearly a month of hot stuffy rooms. That wasn't too fun. Never had any problems with the cold though.

My understanding for booking dorms other than Dorm 17 is that you should call the Housing Centre and they will deal with it. I'm not sure if they transfer your call or how they do it. I believe their number is +86-10-82303300.

On the subject of "earnest money" or deposits, I was asked for a deposit when I booked a room a Dorm 17 over summer (even though in the end I didn't stay there). I was there in person though I can see that the same could be true over the phone. They basically want to cover themselves by making sure the person who is booking isn't going to change their mind and go elsewhere. The deposit will be non-refundable. This should guarantee you a spot and would be worth doing I imagine. Dorm 17 is definitely the place I would recommend as a first choice accommodation on campus.

The long term rate (around 90-120 days) I believe is 60 RMB per night for a double-room and 120 RMB for a single. To get this rate you need to pay it upfront when you arrive, though at Conference Centre they were lenient with me as I had to wait for the money to come in via international bank transfer to BLCU's account.

Hope this has cleared some things up.

The BLCU Blog, BIG thanks. It's so much information that I'd choke upon it now.

Now I have a very important thing to deal with. I guess I have located you on facebook through one of your blogs. Please respond to my message there. Can't explain in detail here.

• New Members

Hey guys,

I am at the a hotel here at the center, and went to the Housing Center awhile ago for a room tomorrow, but they are not able to help with their 'logical' way of doing things.

Does anyone know how to rent an apartment for one month?

Dear BLCU Blog,

I noticed you answered some questions about the dorm, and I'm hoping you can help me too! I'll be going to BLCU for one year under the Chinese Government Scholarship, and I'm trying to figure out the dorm situation. I'm flying in to Beijing on the 2nd of September, which is when the "official check-in" starts. Do you think it will be possible to secure a single dorm that late? (And am I actually at risk of not even getting a dorm if I come in then?) Any advice is welcome!!!

I'm considering changing my ticket, but it's pretty expensive so I want to figure things out first.

Best,

Vladimir

• 2 weeks later...