Chinese-Forums

(Chinese) Typing Race Game

valikor

Hi folks,

I'm friends with the owner of a (real time) competitive Typing website, typeracer.com. I have tried to use the site to study Chinese, because it now allows you to type in 50 languages.

But if you check it out (link at the bottom of the page lets you switch languages), you'll notice that the paragraphs for Chinese are horrible. They were generated from the English texts, using Google translate.

However, this is about to change, and the administrator will soon have the ability to allow certain users to actually select their own texts for the game, and create their own "universe" which anyone could participate in.

I absolutely plan on using this as a form of studying Chinese, because I have found that over the past 2 years that I've played the game, I've more or less memorized hundreds of English paragraphs... since the number of paragraphs are finite, you tend to memorize them if you play for long enough.

If I could memorize Chinese sentences, too, then it would be a great way to study vocab, grammar, you name it.

If anyone finds this interesting, send me any suggestions. There could even be different levels, like a collection of 500 "elementary Chinese paragraphs", 500 "intermediate Chinese paragraphs", and then 500 paragraphs from native sources, like books, movies, songs, etc. (The site automatically gives credit to the source)

I just hope that this can turn into something useful, and I can actually have an excuse to play computer games for hours a day WHILE studying -_-

David

PS--I predict that no user of Chinese-forums.com can defeat me best of 5 while typing in English :)