Chinese-Forums

Multiple Entry X Visa?

electric

According to the Fly China visa service... (I'm going to be using their service to get my visa) the consulate does not grant 12-month multiple entry X visas. But everywhere on the internet I am seeing that they do. Does anyone have recent experience with this, that they could confirm?

Has anyone had experience with Fly China's visa service? Is there a better one you would recommend?

Also, for the sake of not making a second topic... I saw a "记者随身携带器材申报表/Equipment Declaration Form" on the consulate website. Do I need to claim every belonging I bring? All I will probably be bringing with any value are my cell phone, laptop, PS3, Wii, digital camera... Do I claim these on this form? The limitation before being taxed on DVDs is a count of 100, right? Do video game discs count in this? Not that I have a lot of games I will be bringing, but I do have a good number of DVDs, so I will have to slim down the carrying case. :unsure:

So much to take care of, so little time remaining until September... Thanks as always for all the help! Cheers

To my knowledge, only single entry X-Visas exist for the simple reason that they're meant for people entering the country to study long term. One entry, and 30 days validity, is all that's needed since upon arrival, and registration at the university, you also submit the paperwork to upgrade your visa to a Residence Permit. I'm not sure if this is valid for one year (renewable), or for the entire duration of your studies right off the bat, but the point is: the residence permit acts as an unlimited entry visa for the time which you're a student.

I think I've seen one report of someone getting an X visa for 12 months in the US, but even if I'm remembering correctly it's not common - you get the 30 day X visa and your school assists you in converting that to a residence permit for the length of stay. Although more specifically, you just tell the embassy why you're going and how long for, and they decide what to give you.

记者随身携带器材申报表

That's for reporters. If you're a reporter, don't tell them.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit confused about something regarding the x-visa. On the application form, specifically section 2.2, it gives me the options to choose the amount of entries and durations, also my length of stay. Am i right in thinking that i only need to tick the one entry, valid for 3 month option? If so, what do i put for my length of stay?

Are you planning on spending all your time on the mainland (i.e. no trips outside the mainland during your stay)? If so then tick single entry valid for 3 months (this means you can enter any time up to 3 months after the visa has been issued).

If so, what do i put for my length of stay?

How long are you going to be in China for?

I plan on staying for a year but planning on traveling during that time, which obviously means i need a multiple entry visa for the year but what confuses me is the fact that you can apply for a residential permit within the 30 days, which means you won't be restricted to the amount of entries right? If so, why would you need a multiple entry visa from the get go?

Taken from the visa site:

(iv) X-visa issued by the Chinese Embassy is usually with a single entry, valid for 3 months and with no duration of stay(that is 000 day of stay). Holders of student visa should go through the formalities for a residence permit at a local public security bureau within 30 days after entry into China, to avoid illegal stay in China. The period of validity of the residence permit is its holder's duration of stay in China.

I plan on staying for a year

Then I would put 365 days.

which obviously means i need a multiple entry visa for the year but what confuses me is the fact that you can apply for a residential permit within the 30 days,

Oh, right, yeah. For X and Z visas, your visa basically just lets you enter the country (unlike L and F visas which also have durations with them). With X and Z visas, you then need to apply for your residence permit within 30 days of entering, and this is what lets you stay in the country. Once you have the residence permit, you can enter and exit as many times as you like.

Edited by imron
fixed F/X visa typo
  • Like 1