Chinese-Forums

Learning Chinese on your OWN: Which book to buy

Dhiven

Hi

I have been studying Chinese at Zhejiang University for 1 semester now. In 4 months , we studied Book 1 and 2 汉语教程 from 北京语言大学

So now , i want to study more Chinese in the summer holidays. But i want to buy a book to study more. But i feel that if i buy the same brand of books , it will be hard for me to study on my own.

I tried studying from the 二年级 but it's so hard to understand it.

Any tips for me?

If this summer study is not for exam, I would suggest that you read something for fun, not textbook. When I learn my English, even I passed Band 6, I didn't have too much from English because I never had time to read something I like but only textbook and exams.

How many Chinese words have you learned? What do you usually like to read in English? Then, go and find the counterpart in Chinese.

I like to read Chinese newspaper. So the first English for fun for me was to read some English newspaper, or watching movie DVD with the subtitle on. Or reading the English novels that I like. Then, I found that I refreshed a lot of English words that I learned from the textbook.

Also, if you would travel inside China, reading Chinese maps, restaurant menus, or package statement on the goods that you buy from the supermarks. Or maybe some Chinese children story books. I like to read English children books because the language is easy and I can read it fast. :)

the ''chinese made easier'' books 1-4 are great for self-study. clear grammar explanations and the CDs go through the pronunciations of new vocab, grammar and dialogue/articles. the 5th book is different than the first 4 and is designed for use with a teacher

This sounds great, you even can write all of them. I just recalled how did I read Chinese when I was 6 or 7 year old. My mom kept reading children's story books for me. She didn't intend to teach me those characters but since she read the same book again and again, I recognized those characters' pronounciations. But I didn't learn how to write them then. Children's story books are fun and you may self study your Chinese textbooks with some supplement of children's story books. I like this way because it double confirms what I learned.

• 2 months later...