Chinese-Forums

going to chengdu or not ?

wendywendy

Hi to everyone~

I think I could be regarded as a local...at least my ID says so.I left sichuan at 18, but I did go back from time to time to enjoy my holidays with family members in mianyang. I have been thinking about going back and living in chengdu since last week.But here comes the problem~

In the last several years I had lived in Lhasa, Xi'an, Wuhan, Nanjing for study or work or travel. I liked those cities, but the thought of living there for a long period would kill me. yeah...I get tired of one city easily...I went to chengdu many times and it seems a nice city in which one can dwell. Qingcheng mountain, Ya'an, Jiuzai gou, and food...it is indeed worth being called the heaven on earth. Plus my paretns are also going back in half a year, which means I can finally be close to them.

Currently I live in shanghai. This city is fine.I got an ok job, have many activities, especially friends here are so important to me. My leaving would hurt them as well...We go rockclimbing at weekends sometimes, we play football or freezebee in big parks or whatever, anyway, I had too much fun here that I do not want to leave...in addition I was planning to take the course for post graduation at sisu(shanghai international studies university) in 2 years, if I go back it would be sichuan university instead...I did not say it is not good just I really like sisu.

If I leave everything behind and fly back, what would be waiting for me? Have to rent an apartment, find a job , get to know new friends and start my everyday life there...But, what if there is an experience of ordeal ahead?

If you were me, what will you choose?

Hello,

i have travelled a lot in my younger days, born in Cananda,lived in Scotland, USA, and have settled in England. I think when a place is right you know it and things fall in to place and you just end up staying there. Do you have to have decide now for the rest of your life? If it was me I would do the university but maybe where you are now. If you did it elswhere you could always go back and if after being away you really really miss it you will know its right to go back. I would not make my decision based on anything anyone else says. So its up to you:) Good luck. Shelley

I don't think you should worry about hurting your friends if you leave. After all, you can never do anything in life if you always worry about hurting someone (which is of course different from hurting someone deliberately which you shouldn't do), and besides they might not be as hurt as you are suggesting.

The other thing is, when I read your post, I thought initially that you were living in the US or something, until you mentioned you were in Shanghai. I mean, is moving back to Chengdu such a big deal? It's not like it's difficult to visit Chengdu from Shanghai.

Factors such as being "near" Jiuzhaigou I don't think really are important. I mean, it's not the kind of place you can just pop over for a day trip if the weather is nice. Getting there by land from Chengdu would take many hours. Flying there from Shanghai would be just as quick.

If I were you, I think there are 3 main factors to consider. How close do you want to be to your family? If being in the same city as them is important to you, then the obvious choice is to move back. What about work? Could you get as satisfying a job in Chengdu as you have in Shanghai? Since work constitutes a large proportion of one's life, it is important to have a good job. And finally, the local environment. Is the environment in Chengdu, and by that, I mean around where you would live better in Shanghai or Chengdu? Never mind mountains and streams, the important thing is what you would see on a day to day basis.

Oh, and also, if you want to study at SISU, how is that in conflict with moving back to Chengdu? I mean, there's nothing to stop you coming back to Shanghai just to go to SISU for that time, right?

Thanks a lot for your reply.Shelley...

I love your view. This attitude toward life would also be my ideal one.

My only concern is I am the only child...Are you?

anonymoose, you are right...

But I still need more time to think about it...

I moved very often, so I kind of want to settle down somewhere for a longer time let's say 2 or 3 years.

:) cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

It seems like a hard choice indeed! I think it really depends on how you feel about where you live. If you really love living in Shanghai, and feel a special connection to the city that no other city can fill, then by all means don't move and stay there. But if you feel a stronger pull toward life in Chengdu, then you should pursue that. It all depends on your feel!

By the way, I am a Chinese-American university student, and just moved to Chengdu. I don't know anyone my age here. Does anyone want to show me around town and have a good time?

• 3 weeks later...

It's difficult to find a job in Chengdu that pays as well as a similar job in Shanghai, but then again the living costs are so much lower than Shanghai in Chengdu (Shanghai is in the top 50 most expensive cities in the world). Everyone has a different opinion on these two cities, but here's how I see it: Shanghai is better if you're focused on career and Chengdu is better if you're focused on life. Check out this post about Chengdu vs Shanghai which has some more information: http://www.chengduliving.com/a-tale-of-two-cities-chengdu-vs-shanghai/

It was authored by someone who lived in Chengdu for 10 years and recently moved to Shanghai.