Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

I just watched "lost on the journey" ”人在囧途“。

It is a really popular comedy and was supposed to be quite funny. However beyond the first five minutes I found I just found it really annoying. Also, It the plot was a complete rip off of the American comedy "Planes trains and automobiles", So similar, in fact, that I could predict the next couple of scenes to a pretty good degree of accuracy and the attire of the two main characters was also very similar. Save for a few minor story details, this movie was the Chinese version of "Planes trains and automobiles"...except not funny.

Also, on a completely different note, I saw a comedy/film about a Hunan (I think) Opera troop going bankrupt and the participants struggling to find other work, while different conflicts ad story lines between the members and their personal lives unfold. Anyone know what I am talking about? I would like to get it again...

I went to see a Woody Allen film this morning but missed it, so I ended up seeing 山楂樹之戀, which I had resisted because I thought the story was too flimsy.

I think it is a well-made film. Calm, simple and beautiful. Soapy story. I like it a lot (but will not see it a second time). It would have been better if there were not so many intertitles.

The film was shown in a very good theatre, wide screen, high quality projection and, most importantly, quiet as nobody talked. Overall a very satisfactory experience.

The latest Woody Allen film, "You will meet a tall dark stranger" is lots of fun. Full of conflicted and neurotic characters in believable but somehow impossible situations. I saw it a couple weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

I've watched a few movies in the last week. The first was 画皮 (Painted Skin). This one was pretty good but not great. It has a lot of big name actors and is really wellknown in China.

Another one was called 李米的猜想, ''The Equation of Life and Death.'' I found a pretty good version of it on baidu/tudou with Chinese and English subs. You'll definitely need the subs for this one because a couple of the characters speak some strange dialects. Something that kind of annoyed me with this movie is that it also has the actor Wang Baoqiang (the kid in 'A world without theives,' and 'Blind Shaft', who plays the same character in every movie that he's in. I can't stand him anymore.

I also watched the first half of 我的野蛮女友, a Korean movie. There's a Chinese dubbed version on baidu/tudou. It seems pretty decent so far and I'm going to finish watching it later tonight.

I saw a 姜文 movie not that long ago too, but I don't remember the title. It was my first attempt at a raw Mandarin movie, and it went OK, I guess. I could only understand basic things, though. At any rate, it involved a mom and her son, and that wove in with another storyline about some guy who played guitar and his relationship with a doctor. That's about all I got out of it...

The last one I saw, though, was 通天帝國. It was entertaining, at worst. A bit over-the-top with the fight scenes and CGI, but it was a pretty solid detective story, I'd say.

I watched most of 我的野蠻女友 last night, but it was a bit ridiculous, and at a certain point I hit the cliche that broke the camel's back (although it probably had more to do with the intermittent watching due to the long load time).

I enjoyed 日照重慶. I may watch it again at some point.