Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

Just watched 海洋天堂. What a powerful film! I was totally choked up towards the end when 文章 held on to the sea turtle. I can see myself watching this film again and again in years to come. Just love it! Thank you, 李连杰!

• Like 1

一路有你 yesterday at a small theater in Kunming. I was the only person in the audience at a 5 pm showing. It must not be too popular. Wasn't bad. It will look good later on TV. Has all the elements of a fine soap opera.

I just watched 大笑江湖, and it was good for some laughs, and the CGI was pretty good too. Also, I learned about 林熙蕾. She's not bad on the eyes. But once again, not yet being able to follow in detail what's going on, I was mostly going off of visual cues and a general sense of what I could understand from the subtitles. I will say that the two bandits and the Star Wars references were pretty awesome anyway, despite my lack of understanding. The movie seems to be Taiwanese, but there were some accents in there that I wouldn't have guessed were Taiwanese (although that should be taken with a large grain of salt), and if it hadn't been for the subtitles, I wouldn't even have caught the words I know.

Watched 非诚勿扰2 today. Thought one: whose idea was it to put the world's longest death scene in the middle of what you'd reasonable expect to be a romantic comedy. I thought it was never going to end, and by the end I was all ready to roll him off the ship myself. Thought two: Not having seen the first movie is a major drawback, as you spend the non-morbid parts of the film thinking 'hang on, how did these two end up together'.

If you haven't guessed, I didn't like it much. Also saw 恋人絮语 recently, thought that was a bit rubbish too.

the Star Wars references

When they say "May the force be with you" supposedly this sounds like "别太放肆,没什么用“. Google confirms this, but it still doesn't really sound that similar to me. Anyone else hearing this?

The movie seems to be Taiwanese

As Imron says, Dongbei, although both the Taiwan accent and 小沈阳 are generally thought to be very 娘.

一路有你 yesterday at a small theater in Kunming. I was the only person in the audience at a 5 pm showing. It must not be too popular. Wasn't bad.

Saw it in Shanghai on holiday. It was quite heavily advertised on the subway but not many people turned up to see it. I liked it.

When they say "May the force be with you" supposedly this sounds like "别太放肆,没什么用“. Google confirms this, but it still doesn't really sound that similar to me. Anyone else hearing this?

If you hadn't posted that I never would have gotten that out of it. They seem pretty different to me. I thought it was just another thing they said to each other that was sort of a mantra.

As Imron says, Dongbei

Well, it's good to be nowhere near right. :oops:

I watched 全城戒备 last night. For the first half, I liked it as a B action/monster movie, awful in a fun way. The second half was awful in an awful way. No need to watch after the agents and mutant baddies get into a tussle, so here's the ending:

Clown-dude does a bunch of commercials (?!?). Mutants kill lady agent. Man agent trains clown. Viewer wonders why bad-ass clown sucks all of a sudden. Clown kills bad guy, gets girl.

By the way, at the end of 大笑江湖, the narrator says something like he doesn't have to say what the main character's 姓 was/became, but all I could get out of that was 獨孤, which, while strange and funny, doesn't help me much. Can anyone tell me who this guy was supposed to be (my Chinese history is... well, non-existent)?

Can anyone tell me who this guy was supposed to be

In the 金庸 novel 神雕侠侣, the main character 杨过 stumbles upon the grave of 独孤求败, a supreme martial artist who had wandered the earth seeking someone capable of defeating him, but had died without meeting his match. In his wanderings he had only one faithful companion, a giant eagle which had remained to guard his grave. The giant eagle trains 杨过 in martial arts.

The final scene where the main character has to choose between the girl and the egg and chooses the egg is a reference to this - the implication is that after that he will wander the earth alone until he dies, and the eagle that hatches from the egg will be the 神雕 in 神雕侠侣.

• Like 1

I watched 我心飞翔 last night. It has 李小璐 from Fendou in it.

I guess many people hated it, but I actually enjoyed it. It's a rather weird art-movie that reminded me a bit of Wong Kar Wai's Ashes of Time -- meditative, and the emotions, rather than the story, are in the center.

I just watched 海角七號 on the recommendation of a friend, and good lord was that exhausting! It's a pretty long movie, at just over 2 hours, and there's a mixture of Taiwanese, Mandarin, Japanese, and even some English flying around. I was watching with Chinese subtitles, so it really stretched my reading skills (to the point that they broke). I mean those things just don't stay up that long sometimes. Anyway, I'd guess overall it's a pretty good movie. At least I was able to enjoy it. I guess I should have been more specific when I asked her to recommend me a Taiwanese movie. :huh:

I watched 新少林寺 (Shaolin) (HK version) just now. I was quite surprised by the Cantonese dubbing. Part of the film was good (like Andy Lau). Part of it was not (like Nick Tse). The 鴻門宴 dinner scene was very good, but Andy Lau's speech before evacuation was not good at all. And I wonder if I am the only one who finds Jackie Chan's part exceedingly familiar (I suspect that it was at least inspired by 覺遠和尚 in 神鵰 and 倚天).

It seems that Nicholas Tse had returned to his old self and his acting was quite disappointing in my opinion.

It is good that 吳京 has finally got a good role.

Trailer on

; Different trailer on Youku

I had no doubt about choosing to see this film. But so far I have not been able to bring myself to see either 非誠勿擾2 or 讓子彈飛. It looks like I probably would not see them.

And of course we must not forget

. :P

一頁台北 (Au Revoir Taipei) - There's a lot to like in this romcom/caper film, but it just moves way too slowly.

第36個故事 (Taipei Exchanges) - Wonderfully enjoyable to watch. It's a bit artificial, but so are Chungking Express and Actress. See it before the inevitable (horrible) Hollywood remake gets started.

剑雨. Missed it when it was in cinemas in Beijing, got to see it at the Rotterdam Film Festival. Fun movie, with that special HK cinema kind of weirdness and unlikely coincidences and such. There's a lot more HK and Chinese movies in R'dam this year, I hope I can see some more.