Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

I've watched a few recently, not sure their Chinese names:

The World: A story about a couple of lovers working in a Beijing theme park that has miniatures of various world sites. She's a dancer/performer, he's a security guard. I enjoyed the scenery and the feelings on display here, although the ending is a bit of a downer.

Not One Less: Zhang Yimou's film about a substitute teacher in a village who journeys into the city to find one of her students who has gone there to work for his family. This was an extremely emotional and touching film, I laughed, I teared up, overall an excellent feel-good tale.

Days of Being Wild: Wong Kar-Wai's film grabs me every time I watch it, especially the first shot with Leslie Cheung walking in and flirting with Maggie Cheung.

Farewell my Concubine: A outstanding performance from Leslie Cheung. Just an incredible movie all around.

I've watched a few recently, not sure their Chinese names:

The World: A story about a couple of lovers working in a Beijing theme park that has miniatures of various world sites. She's a dancer/performer, he's a security guard. I enjoyed the scenery and the feelings on display here, although the ending is a bit of a downer.

Not One Less: Zhang Yimou's film about a substitute teacher in a village who journeys into the city to find one of her students who has gone there to work for his family. This was an extremely emotional and touching film, I laughed, I teared up, overall an excellent feel-good tale.

Days of Being Wild: Wong Kar-Wai's film grabs me every time I watch it, especially the first shot with Leslie Cheung walking in and flirting with Maggie Cheung.

Farewell my Concubine: A outstanding performance from Leslie Cheung. Just an incredible movie all around.

The World sounds like 中南海保镖? Not sure if it is.

Not One Less:一个都不能少

Days of Being Wild:阿飞正传

Farewell my Concubine:霸王别姬

I just watched 唐山大地震 a couple weeks ago. It was very moving, honestly I did weep though.

Tai Chi Master.

With Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh? Yeah, that's a hidden gem, that one.

I think the last Chinese movie I've seen was One Night in Shanghai or something like that quite a while ago. I haven't been watching many movies recently.

Saw 荒村公寓 yesterday. As a thriller movie it was only so-so, but I enjoyed the 射雕英雄传 references. I also think I enjoy Chinese movies more than I would equally good English language movies, since because I have to pay more attention to understand them, I get into them more.

May I ask two questions about Chinese history movies:

1. The movie "Red Cliff" (赤壁), the two-part version, has or doesn't have English subtitles? How much worse is the Western version?

2. Are there other good movies about the history of / traditional life in China, fiction or documentary, that might have English subtitles?

Thank you!

I felt bad about not watching more classic Chinese movies, so I watched Clan of the White Lotus. Classic Hong Kong kungfu from the 1970s/1980s, and like most Shaw Brothers movies from that time, it's in Mandarin.

Trivia: the white eyebrow Taoist (Bai Mei Dao Ren) was the model for Kill Bill's Chinese grandmaster Pai Mei. It was played by Gordon Liu, the protagonist in this movie, as Tarantino's homage to classic Hong Kong kungfu cinema.