Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

Dear all,

The last Chinese film Kobo saw was 越光寶盒.

It's a parody/spoof movie in the vein of the airplane movies (which spoofed Airport and other disaster movies of the 70s such as the Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, and The Towering Inferno), Hot Shots movie series (which spoofed Top Gun and Airplane), and the Scary Movie franchise (which spoofed horror flicks).

Yueguang Baohe spoofs mostly Chinese movies especially Red Cliff and the Stephen Chow films Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle and CJ7 but it also goofs off on The Eagle Shooting Heroes, House of Flying Daggers, Kung Fu Panda and Titanic.

Quite a few of the actors from Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle make appearances as their Hustle characters in the film.

I found it quite enjoyable since I've seen Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, House of Flying Daggers, Kung Fu Panda and slept through Titanic (I didn't see what all the fuss was about. It was a huge movie and I mean huge.)

I quite enjoyed the theme song, both the straight version with the female lead vocal and the rocked up semi-hip hop version played at the closing credits.

I also especially liked the bit at the end where they have the crew in period costumes while the straight version of the song plays.

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Under the Hawthorn Tree (山楂樹之戀) by Zhang Yimou last weekend. Forrtunately for me it was subtitled in English. I knew very little about it but like Zhang Yimou very much, so I had high hopes and was not disappointed. I loved the movie. It's a hauntingly simple love story that got very much under my skin.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched A Chinese Ghost Story (倩女幽魂).

The rapping 道道道道道 scene is maybe my new favorite scene in all of Chinese cinema. It's pure fun. The song is a riff on the 道德經, I guess. Here it is on

I just watched Yellow Earth 黄土地. Unfortunately it was a rather old and tattered copy of the film, so the earth was mostly red. Still impressive though.

I liked the depiction of the life of the villagers, but the story was rather thin (although I'm quite sure I'm missing something, it might for example have been rather radical at the time to have the soldier not come back in time to actually save the girl). The pretty village girl in her new red coat reminded me of The Road Home. Seems that Zhang Yimou did a bit of recycling there. (And this year he made 山楂树之恋, which also kept reminding me of The Road Home. But perhaps all pure and simple love stories set in the Chinese countryside are reminding me of The Road Home now.)

I saw 劍雨 on 9th Oct and was not impressed. I mean you can only use a good idea so many times.

I also saw a part of 歲月神偷 (Echoes of the Rainbow, mentioned in post #20) on a plane. I resisted seeing the film when it was shown in HK but it seemed to be quite touching.

I also saw Yellow Earth yesterday. The copy was indeed pretty worn, but that went quite well with the barren landscape actually... I liked the movie quite a bit, and was surprised to see how critical it was at that time already.

I thought that Suzhou River was OK. Yellow Earth was great - I really liked the music/singer's voice.

I haven't been watching many Chinese movies lately. Been rocking some Japanese and American stuff with Chinese dubs instead. Last night I watched The Silence of the Lambs in Chinese haha