Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

do I really have to go back to 2001 to see a Chinese movie without characters dying off?

Hong Kong recently has no lack of light fluffy romances in which no one dies.

Speaking of romances, no one dies in 非誠勿擾 either.

Remember, in opera at least, all tragedies end with a death, all comedies end with a marriage.

初恋红豆冰 Ice Kacang Puppy Love [link goes to review] (2010, Malaysia) - Silly and artificial coming of age romance, but I found it charming enough. Loved the rural Malaysian settings.

紫蝴蝶 Purple Butterfly (2003, China) - Decent Sino-Japanese espionage story ruined by bad arthouse direction. I like arthouse, but IMO it didn't work here. The Message (2009) and Lust, Caution are much better films set in that milieu.

I liked Ice Kacang Puppy Love too. I have the soundtrack 纯文艺恋爱 on repeat on my mp3 player... I was particularly impressed by the make-up squad: most of those actors are 30+... I also found it fascinating because I know so little about the Chinese community in Malaysia.

I'm been watching an endless stream of Chinese movies recently. A couple that I thought stood out were 《江城夏日》 (love the accent!), 《立春》 and 《观音山》.

I watched 《非诚勿扰》 yesterday (after I learnt that it's directed by 冯小刚 who also made 《手机》 which I found "not too bad"). I thought it was so-so, but will readily admit that a lot of the presumably intelligent and witty dialogue was above my head, so perhaps I missed a lot of what made it so great. The acting was excellent (obviously), but I found the story to be a little thin.

Strange that we haven't had any discussion about 剑雨: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Assassins

Even stranger that I had missed seeing the movie completely until now, being a diehard Michelle Yeoh fan ever since "Supercop".

The "romantic" parts were beyond cringeworthy, but overall, I was quite happy with the movie, it was a nice fantasy-wuxia movie. Not without flaws, but 2 hours of entertainment and not too much to really complain about.

Strange that we haven't had any discussion about 剑雨

Lu said she had watched it at #120. I watched the film but it was just an ordinary film with little to discuss (I watched it because I liked 鄭雨盛).

Well played imron on Beijing Bicycle. You almost had me until Roddy decided to post, which just bleeds with sarcasm. I flipped to the end of the movie just in time to see a boy get his skull crushed in. I'm going to go watch Kung Fu Panda 2...

• Like 1

I've just rewatched "Supercop". I'm on a mission to finish watching all of Michelle Yeoh's movies -- I'm not missing many, being a die-hard fan.

After that, I might do Jackie Chan.

I'm watching the Mandarin dubs, but it's not a problem since most of the pre-1990s movies used studio dubs (mostly by different actors) for Cantonese too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
苏乞儿 just might be the dumbest, least coherent thing I have ever seen in my life. What a waste.
I thought the first half was very good; the less said about the second half the better.

Saw the movie 關雲長 / 关云长 / The Lost Bladesman last night -- certainly my favorite Donnie Yen MA movie in years; he seems to have finally learned to act in a way I can appreciate. The fights are good, the story is a little confusing, the politics are the usual "uniting China is doubleplusgood". Still, better this than Ip Man 1 & 2, Chen Zhen, 14 Blades, and Bodyguards and Assassins.