Chinese-Forums

Grand Comic Reading Project

feihong

OK, so we have two comic reading projects that were started within 5 days of each other. Which is weird, but probably not a huge deal. My plan right now is to leave things as they are and post the next comic reading project in March, giving us all of January and February to read Animal Sense and The Ravages of Time.

An alternative is to just shelve Animal Sense for now and repost it later. I notice it hasn't gotten much response, but I don't know if it's lack of interest or if people are just busy getting back into their normal schedules after the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with dm5.com? Sometime firefox just tells me that its DNS name can not resolve. And then, a couple hours later, I click reload and it works. Haven't had this problem with any other website.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's February, and I'm supposed to post another simplified reading project. Is anyone interested, or are we still catching up with previous reading projects?

In any case, I went ahead and uploaded the CBZ files for 走错的房间, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

I'm in.

It has been a bit quiet. For me, I didn't get much reading done in January due to catching up on all the stuff I said I finished in 2010 but didn't actually finish..... It's really mostly done now. I mean it this time. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a break for the month of March. There have already been 3 reading projects this year, so even for me there is a lot of reading to catch up on. However, this doesn't mean someone other than me cannot post a reading project.

Lately I've been going through DM5's archive and making a list of legible comics. The vast majority of hosted Chinese comics have terrible scan quality, so this list can save you quite a bit of time if you're looking for a comic to read. Also, I include additional information like what character set a particular comic is printed in, as well as the (approximate) genre. I haven't finished compiling the list yet, but you can see the unfinished version here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ao2aBk5qbR3udEFtMWpIaUJwVUhmY3B2SThndFZTclE&hl=en&output=html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Great thread I'm glad people are discussing good comics to study. Where is a good place to buy simplified comics in Beijing? I don't really like staring at a computer screen for hours! Can anyone recommend any more contemporary stuff being published?

Thanks

By "contemporary stuff", do you mean titles that are currently being published? Or just comics that are not old?

It's hard to recommend something when I don't know anything about your reading level or tastes.

I've been using ComicRack to read some of these, based on recommendations here, in particular that it "understands" scanned comics.

However, I haven't found good support for the 2-pages-per-scan comics. I normally need to zoom in to see about half a page (1/4 of the scan). However, when I do that, I haven't found a good way to navigate. I would like to be able to press PgDn and it goes from the upper-right to lower-right to upper-left to lower-left to the upper-right of the next scan. But I can find that feature, and instead need to use the mouse, which is slower.

Am I missing something obvious?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...