Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language and Cuisine

barcelona

Dear all,

i found this site yesterday while googling for Learning Chinese.

The desire to learn the language happened as a natural progression of my deep interest in chinese food: i wanted to understand the people who created such a fashinating cuisine, and consider the language being a key in this quest.

So it seems logical that my first contribution to this community happens to be food/language related - in fact one of the books below gave me some level of confidence that the ambitious goal of learning chinese might be achievable and the process itself could be a great fun.

So here are these wonderful books:

Swallowing Clouds: A Playful Journey Through Chinese Culture, Language, and Cuisine

The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters

• Like 1

LOL! My first post, also ------ and also with a Language/Food connection. 20+ years ago I wanted to read a Chinese menu --- so I took up the language. Fascinating subject! I can read a menu, and can get by in Chinese ----(will never be fluent), but have a never-ending respect for and on-going study in it -----as well as the food.