Chinese-Forums

islamic food?

adsız

hi everybody

i am coming to beijing to study in blcu too.That will be my first abroad experience,so i am little anxious about some stuff.And one of this is findig sth to eat.i am a muslim and cant eat some food which include pork and any food affiliated with it.i heard there is an uygur restaurant in the campus but i am not fully clear about it.

Any suggestion welcomed :rolleyes:

Yes, there's a Xinjiang restaurant on the BLCU campus that serves muslim food, but it's not somewhere to eat every day if you're on a budget. There's a much cheaper muslim canteen across the road in China University of Geosciences (中国地质大学) but it's not in the main canteen building so you'll have to be persistent in asking for directions. It's generally not too difficult to find muslim food in China -- look for the characters 清真 (qing1 zhen1).

• Like 1

According to my personal experience, every university should have Muslim campus cafe (清真食堂 Qing1 Zhen1 Shi2 Tang2), particularly big universities in Beijing. When I went to college in China, even my university was a small university in a small city, we still had a separate, small, and neat Muslim campus cafe, which was much better than the other general one.

Yes, Xinjiang restaurants usually serve muslim food. There are several Beijing traditional restaurants which are also Qing Zhen, like 锦芳(jin3 fang1), 东来顺(dong1 lai2 shun4),白魁老号(bai2 kui2 lao3 hao4). Also, 牛街 (Niu2 Jie1, means Cattle Ave.), where is a Chinese Musilim community. You should find a lot of Muslim restaurants there.

Also, usually, in Chinese, Chinese Muslim is called 回民(hui2, min2). A people in China who are Muslim is 回 people。Usually it said that those people are descendants of the mixtures of the middle east people who came to China a thousand years ago (like Tang Dynasty)and stayed in China, based on my history textbook...

• Like 1

According to my personal experience, every university should have Muslim campus cafe

That should be about right, soon after I left Nankai University in 1986, the foreign student canteen there got converted into a Muslim canteen.

thank you for the link...it will work fine..

Yes, Xinjiang restaurants usually serve muslim food. There are several Beijing traditional restaurants which are also Qing Zhen, like 锦芳(jin3 fang1), 东来顺(dong1 lai2 shun4),白魁老号(bai2 kui2 lao3 hao4). Also, 牛街 (Niu2 Jie1, means Cattle Ave.), where is a Chinese Musilim community. You should find a lot of Muslim restaurants there.

Also, usually, in Chinese, Chinese Muslim is called 回民(hui2, min2). A people in China who are Muslim is 回 people。Usually it said that those people are descendants of the mixtures of the middle east people who came to China a thousand years ago (like Tang Dynasty)and stayed in China, based on my history textbook...

are there severe differences between uighur food and huizu food??

Qing1 Zhen1 and Huizu means the same, Qing1 Zhen1 refers to the Muslim, like Qing1 Zhen1 Si4 (means Mosque). Huizu means Hui people, which is a people believes Muslim in China. But the Islamic food in China might taste different.... When I was in the middle east, the local people even differentiated Jordan food, Qatar food, or lebanon food, but I could not...

The restaurants that I mentioned in the previous post all are Chinese Islamic food for sure. As I understand that Muslim has some requirements on how the cattle or sheep are killed for food, not any beef or mitton are Islamic food. But they may be localized in taste.

I am not sure what is uighur food? Do you mean Xinjiang food? Sure, Xinjiang food tastes different from Huizu food in Beijing. The common feature is that they both are delicious. :)

• Like 1

清真 refers to Hallal-style cooking, so any restaurant that says this, should be good. Huizu food has lots of noodles and potatoes, with beef or mutton. They're famous for their 拉面 (la mian, pulled noodles), so if you see a restaurant that has 拉面 in the name, it's probably Muslim, and you can ask if it's 清真.

Uighur (维吾尔族) are the largest of the minority populations in Xinjiang, and they're a Muslim Turkic people. Uighur/Xinjiang restaurants cook a lot of the same dishes, but Xinjiang food seems to use more tomato-based sauces and breads.

Both are delicious. Muslim food is some of my favorite in China, and it shouldn't be hard to find. Just follow the 串 smoke (kebabs).

• Like 1

By the way, "ramadan mubarak!" to all our Muslim forum members here...

thanks alot... :rolleyes: how can we spell it in chinese;祝封斋快了 ???

Qing1 Zhen1 and Huizu means the same, Qing1 Zhen1 refers to the Muslim

i am disagree with you..清真 and 回族 are not the same things.Qing1 Zhen1 refers to the foods, which can be eaten by muslims...回族 are chinese people who believe in Islam.

回族 are chinese people who believe in Islam

回族 is an ethnicity as well right? What happens if a 回族 person stops practising Islam? Although their beliefs would have changed, their ethnicity would not have, so are they still 回族?

For example, I stayed at a hostel in Yunnan last year run by a 回族 woman. She was in a bit of a panic cleaning the place up because her parents were visiting from Nanjing. Specifically, she was worried because, living on the other side of the country from her parents, she was serving pork to her guests (and I think eating it herself). It was clear that if her parents found out, all hell would break loose.

She didn't advertise herself as being 回族 and she certainly didn't claim her food was 清真. I assume that any restaurant that did would have the same views on pork as this woman's parents.

i am disagree with you..清真 and 回族 are not the same things.Qing1 Zhen1 refers to the foods, which can be eaten by muslims...回族 are chinese people who believe in Islam.

清真 is Chinese for Islam, the religion. It does not refer to food, unless the context is food. You can use it to refer to halal food, for example, but it means the religion.

回族 is the Hui ethnicity, a Chinese ethnic group who traditionally follow Islam. It refers to a specific group, not to Muslims in general.

So in most Hui restaurants, you will get halal food, just like you would in most Uighur restaurants. The food will be different, as the Hui and the Uighur people are different and typically live in different parts of China. You can also go to a Lebanese restaurant and get halal food, which will also taste different :)

• Like 1

Hopefully this is not too off-topic, but, being a non-Muslim and having little experience with that type of food, what are people's opinions on 1001 Nights on GongTi BeiLu? Asides from the Aladdin mural, I quite like it...

But, I have many Chinese friends who believe Pizza Hut is great food/pizza, when anyone from a "western" country would know that it is actually pretty low-quality. So, I wouldn't be surprised if what I liked in supposedly Middle-Eastern cuisine is actually not that high-quality by the standards of people who frequently eat such food.

Thanks

I'm not suggesting it is completely reliable, but Wikipedia says:

A traditional Chinese term for Islam is 回教 (pinyin: Huíjiào, literally "the religion of the Hui"). However, since the early days of the PRC, thanks to the arguments of such Marxist Hui scholars as Bai Shouyi, the standard term for "Islam" within the PRC has become the transliteration 伊斯蘭教 (pinyin: 'Yīsīlán jiào, literally "Islam religion").[18] The more traditional term Huijiao remains in use in Singapore, Taiwan, and other overseas Chinese communities.[19]

Qīngzhēn (清真, literally "pure and true") has also been a popular term for the things Muslim since the Yuan or Ming Dynasty. Dru Gladney suggests that a good translation for it would be Arabic tahára. i.e. "ritual or moral purity"[20] The usual term for a mosque is qīngzhēn sì (清真寺), i.e. "true and pure temple", and qīngzhēn is commonly used to refer to halal eating establishments and bathhouses.

I guess the reason that they stopped using 回教 to mean Muslim in the PRC is, as Renzhe points out, 回族 is a specific ethnic group that does not include all Chinese Muslims.

However, there's some suggestion in the Wikipedia article that, in order to identify as 回族, a person must be both ethnically 回族 and a practising Muslim (and this was something I wondered about before I read it). For example:

Intermarriage with Han Chinese

Intermarriage usually involves a Han chinese woman converting to Islam, or it may involved a Han chinese man converting to Islam to marry a Hui woman. Sometimes extremely rarely, marriage takes place without conversion.

However, there's some suggestion in the Wikipedia article that, in order to identify as 回族, a person must be both ethnically 回族 and a practising Muslim

It can't be, as the same article cited a Hui Marxist scholar. I'll bet you that he's not a practicing Muslim ;)

The conversion for the sake of marriage is a religious requirement not specific to the Hui. You get the same thing in Iran or Lebanon.

I guess the reason that they stopped using 回教 to mean Muslim in the PRC is, as Renzhe points out, 回族 is a specific ethnic group that does not include all Chinese Muslims.

what are the other ethnic groups practisng islam other than huizu and uighur people?

And secondly when i come to beijing if i want to wander the places muslim society live,where should i go?Is it easy to find a mosque or any other places where muslims get together?i want to learn these places because as you know we are in 'ramadan' month now,our holy month,and we dont eat anything until the time of the first evening prayer.When the time comes we break our fast on the same time.So i need to know the places where chinese muslims break their fast?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Hui have been able to reconcile Marxism and Communism with Islam in some way. As I understand it, they have always been one of the strongest supporters of the Communist Party among the non-Han ethnic groups. I see that one of the vice-premiers is Hui (回良玉).

I understand that the conversion issue is not specific to them, but what I'm interested in is whether it is possible to fully identify as Hui without being Muslim. I can't point to anything conclusive, but I have the impression that it may not be.

The conversion for the sake of marriage is a religious requirement not specific to the Hui. You get the same thing in Iran or Lebanon

When a muslim man marries a non-muslim woman,its not obligatory for her to convert islam.But she has to believe in God,Allah(as we say).

But a muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim man,whether he believes god or not.He has to convert to Islam.

Thats how we do in muslim countries,and in mine,in Turkey.