Chinese-Forums

Where has the best subtitles?

GreenArrow45

I previously used PPTV to watch movies here in China (both Chinese and Foreign) but that began to lag quite a bit so I stopped using it. However, I thought PPTV had some pretty accurate subtitles (Chinese) when I was watching an English movie, so I assumed the characters when I was watching a Chinese movie were pretty accurate too.

As a result of PPTV's decline, I started using Xunlei to watch movies, however, I've found that a lot of the Chinese subtitles aren't very accurate for the English movies. So, my question is, is there any site that someone could recommend with accurate subtitles on English movies (so presumably accurate subtitles for the Chinese movies too)?

... (so presumably accurate subtitles for the Chinese movies too)

You will find that the subtitling of English movies in Chinese is significantly more error prone than the subtitling of Chinese movies in Chinese, simply because it's about 26 times easier for a Chinese person to do the latter. Also, I'd be extremely surprised if it was the organization behind the streaming site/software that provided the actual subtitles.

• Like 1

Sorry, I guess I was somewhat unclear with regards to the Chinese movies - when I'm watching the Chinese movies, I generally use the subtitles when I don't understand a character etc or just don't understand part of what is being said (be it due to my level or their accent, its all the same). So, the way I measure whether or not that is accurate is by the accuracy of their subtitles on English movies. Of course some more complicated things may be hard to translate.

However, at times I have found quite simple things to be just horribly off - such as I was watching a movie the other night and the conversation went something like "I work for the CIA" and the subtitles I saw were something like 我什么都不知道 - this isn't exact as I can't remember its exact phrasing, but as you can see, it isn't anywhere near close to what the English being said is. There were also other instances throughout the movie like that. Hence my question about a better service than Xunlei.

Sorry for the confusion

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

If you’re looking for accurate subtitles, you could try and visit some fansub groups’ websites. I would recommend a group called YYets as it provides subtitles showing both Chinese and English at the same time. This fact at least shows they’re not making a wild guess while translating the film. But I did spot some missed words in the English subs when the local accents make the sentences sound a bit vague.

Their list of resources can be found at this website: http://yyets.net/listresource-all-1.html. And it usually provides emule links, which is also accessible using Xunlei.

However, these fansub groups usually focus on TV dramas rather than foreign movies. So you might find the uploading of subbed movies less frequent than that of TV dramas.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...