Chinese-Forums

Using students’ personal names in class

Arlo_

I studied five languages seriously, and a few more less seriously, and the only one I picked a different name for was Chinese (and even then it was only in the second year). For the rest, I always went with the name I already had. I'm sure picking a different name can be fun or even useful, but it's not a necessary part of language learning.

• 4 months later...

Having recent experience teaching at a Chinese university, I had a good giggle reading these pages. YES, do use the English names. YES, a great many of them will be hilarious (for many reasons-- which, over time, you may wish to explain to the students, giving them the option of changing the offending moniker, or which you may simply choose to gloss over... if you can.) Re: the class sizes-- LOL!!!!! I too was promised small classes of 20 to 30, DEFINITELY no more than 30, and then arrived to find all my classes had 50 to 60 students. It was a wonderful experience nevertheless. Just be prepared to be flexible! :-)

Mado