Chinese-Forums

港式懒音

Quest

Okay, if you are a Cantonese from Hong Kong, please listen to this.

Does this sound normal to you? because it irks my ears to listen to this kind of Cantonese, and I think the 懒音 "problem" is getting "worse" each generation.

疮 -> ch'on

康荘 -> 看john

汤 -> t'on

讲 -> 赶

These are not really 懒音, some people just can't pronounce 'ong' properly. I mean they have problem to say it out. They don't even know those words need to rise the back of tongue at the end.

For 懒音, this like people say 'ngo' as 'o', 'ngau' as 'au'. When you point it out, they can easily adjust. Not because they have problem to pronounce it. And in general, it's easier to rise the back of tongue at the beginning rather than at the end.

it is 懒音. From what I have observed, I think people above age 25 only skip the initial "ng", but many people under age 25 skip the final "ng" as well. (I wonder how they pronounce Hong Kong in English, Hon Kon?)

So, how does it sound to you? Would you be uncomfortable hearing people talk like that?

這個檔案的來源篩選器無法載入。

I got this message when I tried to listen to it.

What troubles me a lot is when I hear the weather girl say "麥" for "密" as in "密雲" (there are other examples of confusing the -k and the -t endings but I can't quote them off hand).

And if I skip all "ng", would I sound younger? :lol:

Thanks. I've listened to it several times and found it not unacceptable. "ng" is missing from "康" and "講', but I still hear the "ng" in the other words. (No offence, but you can't expect everyone to talk '咬牙切齒" all the time, or else everyone would sound like 羅文 singing. 8) )

And you like 青出於藍 too?