Chinese-Forums

ZDT and Windows 7

abcdefg

I've been using ZDT for a year now - basically until I installed windows 7 and discovered I can't use it on windows 7 anymore.

I found the above note on another thread at My link

It worried me because I've been thinking about Windows 7 for my next laptop but definitely don't want to lose the ability to use ZDT. I rely on it heavily.

Has anyone else had compatibility issues using ZDT with Windows 7?

Hi,

I use Anki and Plecodict , but out of curiosity I have just downloaded ZDT 0.7 (zdt-0.7.0-setup-full.exe ) and installed

it on my Windows 7 64 bit system. I briefly tried flashcards ( I like the feature that one has to type in Pinyin as answer),

a dictionary search and annotated some text from amazon.cn. I did not notice any problem, but I may have not tested everything

or the problems creep up only after longer usage.

I checked the sourceforge site and ZDT has not been updated since a while. It uses Java/Eclipse which should be fairly platform

independent(?). Windows 7 also has compatibility modes, which I did not use however.

(I replied here in the ZDT forum rather than in the other thread.)

Cheers

hackinger

I briefly tried flashcards ( I like the feature that one has to type in Pinyin as answer), a dictionary search and annotated some text from amazon.cn. I did not notice any problem, but I may have not tested everything or the problems creep up only after longer usage.

Thank you @hackinger. Those are the features I mainly use. (I also like being able to get tested on remembering the Pinyin.)

It seems from reading this forum over time that everyone has a slightly different technique, one that works best for them or that they are most comfortable using. I put my new words and phrases into ZDT first in small batches of 25 or 30 at a time and then work with them intensively until I know them well. Then I transfer them into Anki, so as to have the benefits of SRS reviews because I'm convinced that helps long-term retention. So I like to run both programs. They do different jobs for me.

Appreciate your information.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

if win7 doesn't display chinese charactesr correctly in zdt try the following:

go to "C:\windows\fonts" , on the left side click on "preferences" or similiar ( i am using a german version), should be 2nd line from top.

at the next screen, disable "hide font based on language settings" and reboot.

now characters should show up correctly in zdt.

worked for me at least. =)