Chinese-Forums

Grand Comic Reading Project #2: Yotsuba

feihong

Questions on volume 8.

Chapter 54 (starting here) seems to be all about some Japanese moving shrine ceremony? My google ability seems to have abandoned me, I can't find any (good) information about it. Help?

On the upper left of this page she uses the term "沒輒" -- another way of writing 沒轍? It's in neither MDBG nor TW MOE Revised, at which point I give up ;)

On the middle row, right side of this page he uses "吃光"; is this the same as 吃完? I don't recall seeing 光 used as a verbal compliment before, but I just might not have been paying attention.

Thanks!

@jbradfor

Chapter 54 (starting here) seems to be all about some Japanese moving shrine ceremony? My google ability seems to have abandoned me, I can't find any (good) information about it. Help?

What exactly do you want to know about that ceremony? It seems pretty typical for a Japanese festival ceremony.

On the upper left of this page she uses the term "沒輒" -- another way of writing 沒轍? It's in neither MDBG nor TW MOE Revised, at which point I give up ;)

Yeah, that's just 没辙.

On the middle row, right side of this page he uses "吃光"; is this the same as 吃完? I don't recall seeing 光 used as a verbal compliment before, but I just might not have been paying attention.

吃光 is a pretty common phrase and literally means "eat until empty". In this case it means to eat all the treats until the bag is empty.

The dragging of the shrine part. Is that a typical part as well?

吃光 is a pretty common phrase and literally means "eat until empty". In this case it means to eat all the treats until the bag is empty.

Ah, thanks. Any other verbs you can think of that take 光 this way?

I don't recall seeing 光 used as a verbal compliment before, but I just might not have been paying attention.

Yes, it's a common verbal complement meaning a state of emptiness/being completely used up. 用光了,烧光了,偷光了,采光了,输光了,卖光了 etc. You can think of it as 用[到]光, 烧[到]光, etc.