Chinese-Forums

Simplified Chinese & Exams

heifeng

Haha Rezaf...indeed. ( you can stay tuned for my Fall of Fantizi post that I will eventually put into the goals & objectives thread B) )

However, as I noted this was a simplified exam. If an examinee was aware that there would be traditional characters mixed in there then that's one thing--it's fair game. The oral part of this exam contains sight interpretation with articles in simplified, traditional, and English--so knowledge of both is required. The written exam however could be taken in either script.

My traditional reading is no longer as strong as my simplified nowadays, but it's what I used to read and write the first few years of studying Chinese in the US (since this is what is primarily used here). However, as Skylee noted:

I won't say that I see 甦 every day but it is certainly quite common (in HK at least). The online Lin Yutang dictionary says that 甦 is also written as 穌 / 蘇; and the latter are interchangeable with 甦.

So, I am definitely familar with 穌 / 蘇 characters, but not until after I saw 甦 on this exam and did some research on it, did I realize 苏 also = 甦. Anyway, after this incident, I have indeed noticed 甦 in Local Chinese (Traditional Script) Newspapers---but the point still stands that this doesn't appear in Simplified!

*I am still under the impression they are not fully interchangable & this would depend on the usage---at least that is my preliminary conclusion after discussing this w/ some Fantizi users from HK...etc. For example, in this particular usage, this is what I've also been 'told':

甦醒 是正體正寫,

苏醒 是大陸簡體正寫,

蘇醒 是正體錯誤字.

• 1 month later...

I met a potential client yesterday named 苏甦 (he was from Beijing). Since I naturally read all of Heifeng's posts religiously (need to vote this one up!), I was able to impress him by noting that his 名字 was a variant spelling of his 姓. He said that no one from the mainland ever recognised 甦 and asked me if I had studied in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Anyone seen anything like this before? - a Chinese name where the 名字 is a variant spelling of the 姓.

• Like 3

learn fantizi

rezaf, you are the man. A green rep to you.

suspect that a Taiwanese instructor made this question.

But you can't get documentation of that, can you?

met a potential client yesterday named 苏甦

I had a colleague in Beijing long long ago and was also named 苏甦.