Chinese-Forums

sellotape = ?

beijingbooty

胶带 is the one I've heard most often' date=' though my dictionary also gives 胶布.

Roddy[/quote']

胶带 and 胶布 are actually two different things, though some people tend to confuse them. 胶带 means the regular scotch tape we're used to seeing. 胶布 refers to type of tape that's more like cloth, hence the 布. I haven't seen this type of tape for a real long time. I remember seeing it when I was younger. It was used to tape around cloth-covered cotton to patch over bodily wounds and I've also see a wider version that's used to tape around handles such as the handle of the tennis racket, the handles on bikes and such.

> the regular scotch tape

in the uk sellotape is yellowy transparent. Scotch tape is sort of cream-coloured and made of paper but with a certain tan xing.

Kulong where were you brought up? Using gaffer tape instead of band-aids sounds kind of scarey :-)

> the regular scotch tape

in the uk sellotape is yellowy transparent. Scotch tape is sort of cream-coloured and made of paper but with a certain tan xing.

Kulong where were you brought up? Using gaffer tape instead of band-aids sounds kind of scarey :-)

I grew up in Taiwan until the age of 10. People didn't use gaffer tape instead of band-aids. We had band-aids' date=' but they were only used for smaller bodily wounds. What I meant was those first-aid tapes and people used them to tape around cotton-cloth so it would stay over larger wounds. Yes, using gaffer tape over wounds would hurt quite a bit haha. I was merely trying to explain the difference between [i']jiaodai[/i] and jiaobu.