Chinese-Forums

How far will these credentials get me?

nye307

Do you think you will enjoy teaching? It sounds like you enjoy exchanges at a high intellectual judging from your background. Teaching also involves a lot of patience and sometimes the students are not brillant. However, you may have already thought about this. It just struck me you might not be teacher 那块料 but may enjoy the study aspect more.

Brandon-Learn Chinese

Why dont you consider applying for an intensive Chinese course at a university and teaching part time. The language will benefit you a lot more then being a full time teacher and you can take great internships here as well. I did one for the Carnegie Endowment - Tsinghua Center in Beijing. Unless teaching is the career option, go for private or non university gigs. Learn the language (at least a little) and use your resume fluff to get your self a good job after this experience. English teaching is English teaching regardless of the School you worked for.

I think I didn't explain myself very well, sorry! All the teaching credentials I get will come back with me to the USA when I finish in China for a career. I love working with foreign languages and kids, so whether I teach Chinese or I TESOL, I'll have a blast at work. I've already taught for a year in the States (i'm a real teacher :P). However, in order to get a professional certificate, I need to further my credentials so I've been trying to figure out if i'm going to work towards being a professor (classical Chinese/Chinese history/Chinese linguistics) or teacher (of Spanish/Chinese/ESL). In south Florida, there's a big need for TESOL because there's so many Spanish & Haitian Creole speaking children.

hmm, but maybe if i take a black & white photo of myself, then i'll be a 白人!! right?? and i'll just make sure to negotiate salary & benefits, and sign & notarize the contract before they see me. lol.

Brandon-Learn Chinese

Oh Bunny.. Bunny... Bunny.....Having a negotiated salary, benefits, and a notarized contract only matters in a "rule of Law" country which China is not. The contracts don't mean much and they get changed all the time without warning. That is the culture, a good relationship goes a long way here, much farther then contracts. Plus unless your on a Z visa the contract has little meaning since you shouldn't be working anyway. I worked with a guy recently who got his teaching certificate or degree to teach in the states. He taught English her for 2 years and even became a manager of sorts at a private English school. This gave him a good background (Private vs. University doesn't matter. Expect most people to see it as simply English Teaching). However it showed he was versatile and capable at teaching students who dont speak English. Now he is on his way to take a University position in South Florida. If you want to be a professor in subjects it may be beneficial to simply go for your Ph.D. That's if your thinking of teaching anything more than a language or becoming an authority in the field. If just B.A. or M.A. then experience would help more. This is only from my personal experience and I am somewhat unfamiliar with the teacher procedure in the States.

Oh, and the picture. Being a 百人 can help for some places, but many it simply doesnt matter. As long as your a foreigner you 100% will find a job if your a native speaker. Just may run into a little difficulties sometimes.

Just wanted to ensure you didn't think skylee hates us gwailo..... you don't, do you?

Actually, I quite like the term 百人 was well. Maybe this should be the new snarky CFC term for 白人 who come off as thinking they know more than they do :P Similar to Scott Adam's term "cow-orker".

Being a 百人 can help

yay! I'M NOT ALONE. unless you were mocking me?

and clearly from the 百人 thing, i need to study, not teach :P

well, anyway, i'm really not serious about teaching in China anymore. But i did need that reality check about laws being upheld. but i do want to start a batman-esque comic for Beijing now... he can be the terror of the asian night...

imron, I assumed you would have picked on this sentence

Don't get me wrong, it was the repeated "its vs it's, your vs you're and even a their vs there" that bothered me, the other quote just provided a better lead in to my comment :D

Not that I'm *that* fussy about grammar, but when someone states they are charging a premium for their English teaching skills, well, I guess I expect a higher standard. After all, I probably wouldn't hire a Chinese tutor that continually confused 的, 得 and 地. Just sayin'...