Chinese-Forums

good hair stylist in beijing

ksl0588

I know. Other people might be like, "oh, what's the big deal?" but when you have a short hairstyle that grows out a lot, you can look like CRAP. Seriously. And let's not pretend that the way a girl looks isn't important in today's shallow world. Like I said, I feel really self-conscious right now.

I heard Eric Paris has a cheaper line of salons called Salon 88. Anyone ever tried them? I guess there's one in the Zhongguancun mall by Carrefour, although I've never seen it. The website says it's an "international quality salon," so I'm wondering if there's a chance they could speak English. There are no Eric Paris salons near me.

There's a Toni & Guys by me, as well as something called Gavin Style, and a whole lot of random, smaller hair places, but I've heard veeeery mixed things about Toni, and I know nothing about the other ones, so I'm nervous to go to them.

I don't understand how so many foreigners are getting such horrific haircuts. Is our hair that different from Chinese people? And this isn't always just a matter of getting a different style cut - the girl I was talking to looked wretched. That cut wouldn't look good on the most beautiful woman in the world!

I had my fingers crossed before I left that there would be at least some hairdressers who could speak English.

Do you have any English-speaking Chinese friends who can go to a salon with you?

Cutting hair is not such a high-paying job that it can attract many people who are fluent in English (most hair salon employees probably didn't even go to college.) And you know by now how surprisingly difficult it is to speak about hair in a foreign language.

The times I've had my hair cut here, it's been very hit and miss. Sometimes it comes out good, and sometimes bad - very bad. It seems to have little correlation with the location or cost of the hair cut. So these days I just go to the 10 yuan a cut places and at least they don't try to force perms and highlights and all that other crap on me.

I guess that I'm lucky to be a guy. I've gone to different places in Beijing and Shanghai, almost at random, to get a cut and have never had a bad haircut. The only thing I've found annoying is that they often suggest that I dye my hair because I have a few strands of gray. Since I'm not interested in running for high political office in China, I've always declined.

The language barrier can be frustrating. I once told a hairstylist in Poland that I just wanted her to cut "a little." However, I believe she thought I said that "a little" was what I wanted to have left after she was finished. (Be careful when speaking Russian in communist-dominated Poland.)

Well, I'm contemplating trying this Salon 88 place. It's a chain from Eric Paris that's cheaper and aimed at young people. They're placed near/inside Carrefour's, apparently. It's got surprisingly good reviews, whereas places like Toni & Guys have very mixed responses... And some of these super classy places are way too expensive. I can't spend $50-100+ on a haircut! But I need one by the end of this weekend for sure.

I don't have any Chinese classmates. I'm only taking intensive language classes, so all of my classmates are white Americans! Haha. And I'm in class from 9-5 or 6, and then have a ton of homework to do, and THEN have program excursions to places like the Great Wall and whatnot on weekends, so I haven't found any opportunities yet to make Chinese friends. When I do have a free day, I'm too tired to do anything but rest in my apartment (I live off-campus). Sad. So I don't know anyone who could go with me.

A classmate mentioned today that there's a hair salon in Wudaokou across from the Lotus Center (not sure where that is) where celebrities apparently get their hair cut, according to our teacher...I'll ask my teacher about it tomorrow. I am so nervous about this haircut!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Madik. I ended up going to the Eric Paris Salon in Sanlitun. I recommend it. The woman at the front desk spoke English and translated what I wanted, as my stylist only spoke some English. I chose the senior style cut, which was around US $30-35, I believe. He did a good job. I'm planning to go back once more before I leave.

• 4 years later...