Chinese-Forums

Women's Health in Harbin

vkim67

Ho Ho.

Not much advice from me I'm afraid, although Kdavid (or more likely his wife) may be along shortly. All I could say is either ask around for what the best hospital is, or do a search for 妇科医院 / 女子医院. Pregnancy test I'd imagine you can just buy at a pharmacy?

Even though not a specific answer to your main query about where to go in Harbin, you may still find something useful on these two old threads:

1. http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/1413-womens-sexual-health/page__p__11994__hl__morning+after+pill__fromsearch__1#comment-11994

2. http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/15485-urgent-how-do-you-say-morning-after-pill-in-chinese/page__p__121512__hl__morning+after+pill__fromsearch__1#comment-121512

Pregnancy test kits can be bought without prescription in most pharmacies.

I could do a search with those terms but I wouldn't really be able to weed through and thoroughly read up on the info to pick a good one... it would probably take me months haha. Thanks though I think I will try the campus hospital because it is most convenient... I'll check out the facilities first

That post with the terms was definitely useful!

Also, I should add

消毒 (xiao1du2) - sterile (in case we just want to make sure something is sterilized.. 消毒的)

& I don't know why I didn't think of just getting a test at the store because I remember seeing tests at 家乐福!

Thanks all!

I'm not female, but I'm a physician who has lived in China. Apologies in advance for possibly being too explicit in my reply. I mean no discourtesy and I understand your concern.

If you ask whether the instruments are sterile, you will probably get a "yes" whether they really are or not. A better question, especially in the case of the speculum, might be whether or not it's a modern single-use disposable, instead of one of the old re-useable metal ones.

That would be 一次用阴道窺器 or 一次性阴道窺器 -- I have heard both terms used. Same wording as for single-use disposable chopsticks, or single-use disposable shoe covers. You can plug these into MDBG on-line dictionary (http://www.mdbg.com) for pronunciation and then into Google image search for a picture.

I can't answer that question, but I know a lot of medical students and now graduates working in the medical industry. If you would like I could maybe try and find one with good English who you could talk to and maybe help you find the answers you're looking for.

My wife has gone in for check-ups before. Each time she's just gone to the Gynecology ward at 医大 on 南通大街.

I second abcdegf's advice in regards to asking about sterilization. This is really the best way to go about getting the information you want.

Abcdefg, Thank you that's exactly what I need~ to be informed and prepared for my first trip to the doctor's in a foreign country!!

I appreciate it.

Also, thank you Matty, I will check out my campus hospital to see if they have sterile single-use tools or try the place Davidk's wife went to (if its not too far from where I am), if I have too much difficulty communicating, i may come back to 麻烦你 for help finding English-speakers! But I think I will be OK. I can also try to get some help from more advanced classmates.

Does anyone know how much it will cost?

I would think doctors would hav better hygiene but if they don't seem to brush their teeth as a lot of the people here dont... (I know this is too much but) I don't know if I can trust them to examine me. It's just that feeling.... :(

Your concerns about the use of clean instruments are understandable. As for using any kind of online dictionary to find Chinese medical terms ---make sure you understand and use the correct Chinese term of sterilization - 消毒 other wise if you ask for the other kind of sterilization then you can't have kids anymore.

• 1 month later...