Chinese-Forums

anyone able to help???

ktness

this passage is part of my translations assignment, its a conversation amid a couple of paragraphs, i hope it's not difficult to understand without other linking texts.

theres are the sentences im having trouble with:

["what do you suppose struck them?" Father asked Mother when they went to bed. "all this time they couldn't leave, just had to stay here, and now they're off in this awful hurry it sure is a mystery."]

i'm especially having trouble with "struck" as struck in this sense meant "something that made them realise"

and they in this sense meant the couple's son and daughter-in-law

thanking in advace

:D

“你看到底是怎么回事?”睡觉时父亲问母亲,“他们一直走不了,只能呆在这里。现在却急着要离开,一定有什么隐秘”

I think "struk" here means “促使,使得”. The meaning of "what do you suppose struck them" maybe “你认为促使他们离开的原因是什么”

I think gene is right. "Strike" in this context is very remote from the original meaning of hitting. The phrase is normally used with a dummy subject (e.g. "it struck me that he is unhappy", not "his unhappiness struck me". In your example I don't think there's an actual thing which strikes them, so you need some kind of circumlocution.