Chinese-Forums

new HSK exam levels

gegehuhu

Okay,

So I know there are 6 levels in the new HSK.

But I'm a little confused what this actually means.

Does this mean that there are 6 separate tests, and when I have to take the test I choose which level I want to take, and then see how good my score is in that level?

Or is there just one single test, and the 6 levels simply reflect different scores?

The reason I ask is that the scheduling information seems to suggest the latter, but the preparation materials and practice tests seem to reflect the former.

Some clarification would be helpful.

Thanks!

Yes, it is confusing.

There are 6 separate tests, one for each level.

What? No... It's simple, and that's not it.

The new HSK has 6 grading levels, and 3 different exams.

Exams:

• Beginner

• Intermediate

• Advanced

Each exam has 3 possible result categories:

• Fail

• Pass

• Pass with honours

The 6 levels are the 6 passing categories.

HSK 1 (Beginner)

HSK 2 (Beginner with Honours)

HSK 3 (Intermediate)

HSK 4 (Intermediate with Honours)

HSK 5 (Advanced)

HSK 6 (Advanced with Honours)

So 3 exams but 6 different levels you can achieve.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion.

You are both right.

There are 6 written tests, but only three spoken tests:

from http://english.hanban.edu.cn/node_8002.htm.

I. Test Structure

The new HSK is an international standardized exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. The new HSK consists of a writing test and a speaking test, which are independent of each other. There are six levels of writing tests, namely the HSK (level I), HSK (level II), HSK (level III), HSK (level IV), HSK (level V), and HSK (level VI). There are three levels of speaking tests, namely the HSK (beginner level), HSK (intermediate level), and HSK (advanced level). During the speaking test, test takers’ speeches will be recorded.

• Like 1

But it seems, looking at the tests, that the HSK 5 test is similar in difficulty to the old intermediate test and the 6 is similar (or possibly actually easier than) the old advanced test. So does this mean getting the highest possible score is easier than under the old system?

The pass mark for each level is 180/300 (ie 60%), which is not that high either. Am I right in thinking there is no benefit to scoring 280 versus scoring 180?

So assuming the new 6 test is similar in difficulty to the old advanced test, would it be fair to say that getting a pass on the new 6 is equivalent to scoring a 9 (ie the lowest pass mark) on the old advanced test? If that's the case, what happened to the old 10 and 11? Did they just assume people weren't interested?

But it seems, looking at the tests, that the HSK 5 test is similar in difficulty to the old intermediate test and the 6 is similar (or possibly actually easier than) the old advanced test. So does this mean getting the highest possible score is easier than under the old system?

The pass mark for each level is 180/300 (ie 60%), which is not that high either. Am I right in thinking there is no benefit to scoring 280 versus scoring 180?

So assuming the new 6 test is similar in difficulty to the old advanced test, would it be fair to say that getting a pass on the new 6 is equivalent to scoring a 9 (ie the lowest pass mark) on the old advanced test? If that's the case, what happened to the old 10 and 11? Did they just assume people weren't interested?

My Chinese teacher (who has been teaching HSK prep for over 12 years) says the new HSK is actually easier than the old one -- so all of her students have to take the old one. Sigh.

Apparently, even with the 400+ yuan price tag, the old HSK was barely profitable hence the introduction of the new HSK, which was packaged as more practical, etc., while the real reason (my teacher says) it was introduced was to create a foreigner-ego-flattering cash cow.

Making more money is obviously one motivation for the new HSK. The spoken test now requires a separate fee from the written.

If you were to take the new Level 6 written test plus the Advanced spoken test, you would have to pay RMB 1050 in total fees compared to RMB 400 for the old advanced test (which included both written and spoken).

But money wasn't the only issue, because they could have kept the old test and just increased the fees.

Two other reasons for the new HSK are (i) Hanban wanted to take over control of the test from BLCU and (ii) to make the tests easier for beginners.

OLD HSK FEES:

HSK(基础): 200元人民币

HSK(初中等):250元

HSK(高等):400元

http://202.113.234.165/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=183:2010620hsk16&catid=28:xueyuanxinwen&Itemid=2

NEW HSK FEES:

新HSK (一级) :150元人民币;

新HSK (二级) :250元人民币;

新HSK (三级) :350元人民币;

新HSK (四级) :450元人民币;

新HSK (五级) :550元人民币;

新HSK (六级) :650元人民币.

新HSK(初级口 语):200元人民币;

新HSK(中级口语):300元人民币;

新HSK(高级口 语):400元人民币

Apparently, even with the 400+ yuan price tag, the old HSK was barely profitable hence the introduction of the new HSK, which was packaged as more practical, etc., while the real reason (my teacher says) it was introduced was to create a foreigner-ego-flattering cash cow.

I agree completely...

Also, the new HSK 6 is much easier than the old Advanced test and has much lower passing mark (considering it is supposed to be the highest level in the new system). I think it can't really be compared to the old HSK 9. IMNSHO, the new system doesn't offer a true Advanced test ...

I've read that the new HSK 5 roughly corresponds to the old HSK6, and the new HSK 6 to the old HSK 9. Based on some mock-ups of both, I'd say that this is roughly right.

One major reason for the new levels was to bring them to the same standard used for pretty much all other languages, with the international levels like A1, A2... C2, roughly corresponding to the new 6 levels. This also resulted in dropping the really advanced levels. I mean, if you compare TOEFL of German Oberstufe to HSK Advanced, you will see that the old HSK played in a league of its own.

I'm still very confused.

I purchased a book of simulated tests for the new HSK Beginner level (which based on the above is Level 1/2). But the sample tests I downloaded from the new HSK website are totally at odds with with the level in the book I got at the bookstore. The bookstore book is much more difficult, the HSK website sample tests much much easier. What's up with that?

If 60% is the minimum for a simple pass, what % is the minimum for an honors pass?

Beginner

60% = 1

__% = 2?

Intermediate

60% = 3

__% = 4?

Advanced

60% = 5

__% = 6?

Today, I sign up the preparation class for HSK level 5 (at Global Village School), and they gave the book they use, and surprisingly for me the book is published by BLCU, it's a new book designed for preparation of New HSK 5th level.. I though BLCU's HSK one is still the old one..

Today, I sign up the preparation class for HSK level 5 (at Global Village School), and they gave the book they use, and surprisingly for me the book is published by BLCU, it's a new book designed for preparation of New HSK 5th level.. I though BLCU's HSK one is still the old one..

Hanban is now responsible for organizing the new HSK, but it seems that all publishers can bring out books to prepare for this exam. BLCU Press bringing out a books prepare for the new exam doesn't mean they organize it. It also doesn't necessarily mean the level is appropriate.

(this is similar to other exams for other languages TOEFL and IELTS)

Is there any Chinese test more advanced than the new HSK?

The old HSK Advanced, if you can find it, or the Taiwanese TOP, which is about as hard as the old HSK, perhaps even a bit more.

Or go for the native speaker exams.

Is there any Chinese test more advanced than the new HSK?

The old HSK Advanced, if you can find it, or the Taiwanese TOP, which is about as hard as the old HSK, perhaps even a bit more.

Or go for the native speaker exams.

The old HSK is (strangely) still available. I'll be taking it next year in April in Nanjing.