Chinese-Forums

does anybody help?

hamz

That sounds perfectly fine. It's a very unique name since it's different from all the other common boring names that some people choose (like John, Peter, etc.). It don't think it has any bad meanings, although it does sound like "hams" (火腿). :D But even that's fine since Ham is often used as a nickname for Hamilton.

Yeah, it doesn't have any negative meaning - but mainly because it's not even a name. You can use it if you want - but if you want a 'normal' name you might need to think again. I think it's quite a good name though - sounds 'foreign' rather than 'strange'. Certainly better than 'Gameboy' or 'Nike'

Roddy

PS Moving . . .

Some Americans will think your name is Hamm's, a brand of beer. I say some because it isn't a very popular brand. My name is written differently than expected and I've gone through my whole life spelling it for people. When they ask where the spelling came from I can at least say it is Irish. I'm not sure how well it will work if you tell them that it was your made-up on-line name.

I remember when most "given" names were still referred to as, and were "christian" names. It certainly makes it a lot easier having a regular/normal English/christian name.

There's been research into how given names can affect people's perceptions of you (University of Chicago research). Admittedly the research is centred on "white" vs African American given names, but it does show that if you're going to use a non standard English name, it's going to be more difficult for you.

When I hear the word Hamz, I think of meat, amateur radio enthusiasts, and bad actors, in that order. What's your surname? As it's much easier to judge a name when heard with its surname.

I don't think you shuold use hamz. it's not a name that i've ever heard of. Get a normal sounding name. use the internet to look up a list of names. they usually have meanings for the names as well.

I wouldn't use your chinese name as an english name either. I've read the reports about the univ of chi. research, and from anecdotal evidence, I'd say the same is true for asians.

good luck!

Thanks a lot for everybody's help.

Ok, I decide to choose a normal english name as my one.

why I need a english name and not use my original chinese name?

coz, many foreigners (english speakers) can not pronounce my chinese name exactly. It make them confuse. hehe, I think it doesn't help communication between us.

why not choose normal english name?

coz, I am too lazy to choose one different from other colleagues'.

the normal english name almost have been used. It would be serval guys stand up when somebody called MIKE, JOHNNY, TOM...

There are tons of very normal-sounding English names that not many people have, I'm sure there's a nice one left for you. What's your Chinese name? Maybe you can find something that sounds a bit similar.