Chinese-Forums

Giant Bicycles price in Shanghai vs. World

md1101

Hi, I'm considering buying a Giant Defy 4 bicycle in Australia. It's essentially a lower price range decent road bike costing AUD$1000. At the current mammoth strength of the Aussie dollars thats about 6500 rmb.

I've seen road bikes as low as 2000 rmb in the Giant shops in Shanghai (I've never seen one that cheap over here) but I suspect there is a quality difference in there somewhere.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not you can get Giant bikes in China for a lot cheaper than overseas? That's bikes of the same quality. I suspect they will simply have different models that aren't available elsewhere of much lower grade components.

If they are good, on the other hand, It may even be cheaper dropping by Shanghai and grabbing the bike there while doing a bit of sight seeing and meeting old friends in the mean time.

I'd appreciate any comments on the issue!

Sorry if this sort of topic exists already. I had a good long search and found nothing.

been cycling a Giant bike now for 2 years (well, 3 different ones to be exact - all the same model, as I like it and the other two were stolen). Their bikes here start at 800RMB for the very basic ones and I think the top model would cost about 6000RMB. I bought mine for 2300 and it is excellent. Dont know what Giant bikes cost abroad, so I cant comment on the difference.

The only draw back I think is, well that they are very good, very popular and therefore get stolen all the time. When they stole my second bike from a guarded bicylce parking area (just had my first one stolen 3 weeks earlier), I almost went back to the good old flying Pigeon, but decided to give it a last chance and have so far managed to hang on to my third one (my parents sent a lock over from Europe that I hope the local thieves are not as familiar with). Should it go however, I cant afford to loose bikes at this rate and I will be back on the 300RMB variety.

Point is: if you buy it here, bring a BIG LOCK to make sure you can actually hold on to it until you go back....

Thanks for the response. I also seem to remember good bikes available for ~2300. that might be the way to go I think.. The savings will pay for my trip :) I'm still not sure if there would be a quality of parts difference but it's certainly worth checking out. As for security.. I'll have to save the purchase till my last day there!