Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Great to see this post. I've been waiting for the 2011 thread for some time now.

Many Canadians have a December 15th, 2010 deadline for this 2011 scholarship. Get those applications out soon.

I contacted the DC Chinese embassy last night. I received a quick response saying that no deadlines for applications had been posted. Now, as I was speaking with a US embassy representative, he was likely responding as if I were an American (which I am).

My question: is it possible that the deadline for Americans could be this early as well? I've already pulled the trigger on getting transcript copies, etc., but would need to start doing so for letters of recommendation as well should my deadline (i.e. the deadline for Americans) be only a month away!

1. Proposed Study in China: Chinese Language Student

What about those applying for a scholarship for a Master's program? Has anyone here been awarded the CSC scholarship for non-Chinese language study? Are these more difficult to get than Chinese language scholarships? I plan on applying for an MA in Modern Chinese History.

EDIT: I'm reading the archive now on Brian US's experience with this.

7. You need a notarized copy of your most recent transcript, and your high school diploma (for those who are still in university) or degree (if you already graduated from college). If it is not in English or Chinese, you need to get it translated into one of those two languages.

My transcripts are sealed in an official envelope from the university. They're also printed on official, watermarked paper. Is the notarization still necessary? That is, do I need to open up the envelope and get the transcripts notarized?

is it possible that the deadline for Americans could be this early as well?

This is possible. Last year the application was posted November 30th (EDIT: just the 2010 application and not the due date), so I'm hoping we can confirm the deadline when the new application is posted. I think the last few years have been April 30th, so I'm going to assume it won't change. However, if you are going through a third party (Confucius Institute/your school) then you are on your own to figure out the date. Third party dates will likely be sooner as they will try to get your application to the embassy before the respected due date.

What about those applying for a scholarship for a Master's program?

I applied and was accepted for a Master's program. I selected the Master's Degree Candidate box. Most Master's programs are 2-3 years, so keep that in mind when putting down the duration of the major study. Also, accommodate for language study time if you wish to do 1-2 years prior to starting major study.

Are these more difficult to get than Chinese language scholarships?

No one knows.

My transcripts are sealed in an official envelope from the university. They're also printed on official, watermarked paper. Is the notarization still necessary? That is, do I need to open up the envelope and get the transcripts notarized?

That is how I sent mine. I am sure you are fine with that document. I suggest everyone send out your application early, so if a problem does arise then you can send additional documentation.

This is possible. Last year the application was posted November 30th...

Wait, it's possible that the earliest everything could be due is November 30? Or are you saying that last year the due dates were posted November 30?

I've been in China for over four years now, and I know how things work. But would they really give only weeks notice for people to put together all of these materials? If so, this would be more frustrating than surprising.

I applied and was accepted for a Master's program.

What did you study? Also, did you already have HSK 6 before applying?

I'm scheduled to re-take the HSK on the 28th of this month. I wasn't anticipating having to submit application materials before April, so I was hoping to include my HSK cert with my application. I'm fairly confident I'll get at least a 6 this year. (I missed level 6 last year by three points. Damn 综合!)

Wait, it's possible that the earliest everything could be due is November 30? Or are you saying that last year the due dates were posted November 30?

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant the application only was posted November 30th. The due date was stated to be April 30th on the application. Therefore, if the 2011 application is posted November 30th this year then it will likely mention when the future due date will be.

What did you study? Also, did you already have HSK 6 before applying?

I studied language at BLCU for one year and was accepted for a scholarship including one more year of study and a three years master's in Chinese accounting. I have yet to take the HSK. Really depends on the school and program. I asked the office last week and one lady said I might not even have to take the HSK. Don't ask me to explain that one.

Requirements are really up in the air depending on who, when, where. You normally have to take the 高考(college entrance exam) for a bachelors and an interview/hsk for master's. Yet, some of the Western students I have talked to have gotten around these requirements.

Requirements are really up in the air depending on who, when, where. You normally have to take the 高考(college entrance exam) for a bachelors and an interview/hsk for master's. Yet, some of the Western students I have talked to have gotten around these requirements.

Probably about two years ago I called HIT (where I plan to study) and spoke with someone in charge of admissions. She asked if I had taken the HSK, which, at the time, I hadn't. She said it wouldn't be a problem if I came in and spoke with her. She said that because I sounded "quite fluent" on the phone, the HSK wouldn't be required.

I then discovered CSC, which would save me a bunch of money. I figured I'd include my cert for good measure.

Lastly, did you have a letter of admission from your university prior to applying? I'm only interested in one school (I live and work in Harbin, so I can't relocate), so I was thinking a letter of admission my help guarantee I get awarded the scholarship to my one, and only, choice.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue through this process!

I don't want to start rumors that your HSK doesn't matter. I suggest you follow everything in your application packet to the "T" so make sure you provide your HSK score when asked.

Lastly, did you have a letter of admission from your university prior to applying?

No. I'm currently enrolled at Renmin University, but this was my third choice. My first choices were Tsinghua and Beijing University. I think this had more to do with the major I selected. If you are really set on that one particular university then maybe you can use your contacts to pull some 关系.

don't want to start rumors that your HSK doesn't matter. I suggest you follow everything in your application packet to the "T" so make sure you provide your HSK score when asked.

I agree. I didn't mean to allude that the HSK doesn't matter. In fact, I did not enroll at that time as I felt my level wasn't high enough to participate in a Master's-level academic environment. I'm still a bit reserved about this, but I think this is one of those things I just need to dive in to. I can't wait forever.

• New Members

Hi everybody I wish tha youre having really gd time Im really taken by the idea of studying in China and I wish as everybody do to take a scholarship and to put you in the picture so you can answer my questions here is my full situation : I live in Saudi Arabia but Iam jordanian and I wish to study Communication Engineering BUT I want a University teaching in english so I want toknow the full requirements I need to do inorder yo compete for this scholarship.....THanks everybody

Hi Brian US:

It's great to see the 2011 thread up and running. I'm no expert in CSC matters, but I will do my best to support the thread.

@kdavid

At least a level 6 on the HSK? The new HSK examination only has 6 levels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanyu_Shuiping_Kaoshi#Current_Structure

Are you planning on taking the old or new HSK?

Nice work Brian! Great that you're taking over from CSC Goddess extrapages!

Just wanna let you and everyone know that i'm still around to help out, especially to potential applicants from the Philippines! I'm currently scholarship student studying Chinese in Beijing Normal University. Last year, i was a scholarship student at BLCU. If you have any questions regarding applications in the Philippines or student life in BNU and BLCU. Don't hesitate to ask me!

• Like 3

Always great to have more cool scholarship winners around. You probably mentioned this in the last thread, but why the switch from BLCU to Beijing Normal? Did you apply for a new scholarship and they sent you to a new school?

Do you know what the deadline is for the Philippines?

Exactly, i applied for a new scholarship and this is where they put me. I did have BLCU as my first choice, Tsinghua 2nd (yeah, like i'd get that) and BNU as my third. Because of the CSC's mysterious ways, I ended up in BNU. This school has been great so far so I'm happy and grateful nonetheless.

I don't know the deadline for the Philippines, but looking at the last two cycles, our deadline has always been April 30. I suggest that applicants should call the Chinese Embassy first to inquire. The number is 810 8597. Look for Ms. Zhang.

I live in Saudi Arabia but Iam jordanian and I wish to study Communication Engineering BUT I want a University teaching in english so I want toknow the full requirements I need to do inorder yo compete for this scholarship.....THanks everybody

As a Jordanian you will need to send your application to the Chinese embassy in Jordan. As far as programs, you will need to look at individual schools to see which ones may teach in English.

I don't know the deadline for the Philippines, but looking at the last two cycles, our deadline has always been April 30.

Does this depend on where you are in the Philippines? I thought last year an applicant said December or January, yet they might have gone through a third party.

As for Canada, BC one is due the end of January.

Do you know which provinces have the December 15th deadline? I think my BC classmates mentioned there are only like five scholarships for BC and three for Quebec.

Does this depend on where you are in the Philippines? I thought last year an applicant said December or January, yet they might have gone through a third party.

I think it doesn't matter. We're a small country. Those who said December or January must've have read the notices given by individual Chinese universities who accept applications directly. But for the "general" CSC scholarship, it's in April. But again as i've said. Call the embassy first.