Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Alex Whiteman, anyway you can shorten it? Simple things like dropping the title page of some report or even print on two sides. I think with the 20 page limit they are concerned about weight, so they don't want to spend a lot of money mailing it around.

@DC278

I think your diploma should be fine if you can attach maybe a transcript with your grades. I didn't actually send a copy of my diploma, but just an official transcript.

I have a question about a college diploma written in Latin.

I graduated from Boston College, which writes its diplomas in Latin. I see on the CSC application instructions that I am supposed to submit a notarized Chinese or English version of my diploma, but does anyone know if they make an exception for a diploma in Latin? I know a lot of universities in the US still use Latin - have other people had their Latin diplomas translated? Has anyone who only submitted a Latin diploma in the past received the scholarship?

I can actually access an official English translation of a Boston College diploma on the Boston College website, but it has blank spaces for the name, degree, and date. I can paste the translation into word and fill in the blanks, but I'm not sure what qualifications I need to meet to get this notarized.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

@DC278

My diploma was written in Latin too. Our registrar can print out an official English translation, which is exactly what you have -- a template where you just fill the blanks in with the graduate's details. What makes it official is the dry seal that they stamp on the paper. Maybe you can do the translation yourself and then proceed to your registrar and ask if they can have it stamped.

Hey, I'm applying for the Chinese Study program for this scholarship and am already living in Nanjing, China. Can anyone tell me how or where I can get my BBA transcripts notarized and also where I would send/deliver my application forms to? Thank you for any help anyone can give-I'm so glad to see there is a forum about this scholarship!!

i'm liya from the Philippines and i really want to study in China. Actually, me and a friend. I've asked the people from CHED and told me to apply online. But it wants a guarantor, if possible will you be a guarantor, or someone who can be a guarantor for me and my friend. this scholarship means a lot to me. and we only have 5 slots to fight for here in the Philippines. thank you extrapages.

As a new member, your first few posts need to be approved. Not many people on here live in Nanjing, so you might have a hard time finding that answer. Again, you must send your application to your home country's Chinese embassy. Assuming you are from Michigan (represent 8) ), you need to send it to the D.C. office. The final deadline is April 30th, so you are cutting it close.

Thank you Brian. So, I can just have my parents mail everything from Michigan. Would they be able to get my Transcripts notarized for me? Also, where can I find the exact address for the place in D.C.? I work a lot of hrs. here in China, so, I'm sorry for asking perhaps stupid questions, but I do thank you for taking the time to help a fellow Michigander out ;)

Hey, I need advice on the following:

The three unis I chose for my scholarship have registration deadlines I'll most likely won't be able to meet if I wait to hear back from CSC.

I've read (here) that this is is solved by contacting the uni somewhow and saying that you have a scholarship - even if the deadline is past. Assuming it's the case, aren't my housing options hurt anyway? I'm thinking about paying the difference for a private room - but I'm also worried about not getting any housing at all at the campus due to unavailability and having to pay my own apartment outisde. Can this happen with these scholarships or I'm overthinking it?

Assuming my chance of getting my first choice of uni is relatively large (I chose ECNU for the Chinese course) - is it a good idea at all to try and register independently before knowing whether you'll get the scolarship or not? Will that help me with my housing problem?

I'm evaluating other ways to finance my trip - so I might end up going anyway if I find a solution that works for me. Until when should I wait before deciding that I ain't getting the scholarship? Is it viable to just contact them and ask. . . after, say, June?

As before, depending on my outlook towards September, I might as well just register and go. Thing is, I keep thinking I arrive in Shanghai to find out the envelope with all the CSC paperwork I need arrived while I was travelling - I'm not even sure this matters even if it happened or whether I could just show up at the uni and say hey I'm so and so here's my passport I think I have a scholarship could you check that please (doesn't sound likely to me).

@Justy_Michigan

I don't mind helping a troll, but if you're a yooper I might have a change of heart. To be honest I've never had anything notarized, but I'm sure your parents can take care of it. Just send it to the D.C. office:

Attn: CSC scholarship

Embassy of the People's Republic of China

Address:3505, International Place, N.W., Washington D.C. 20008, U.S.A.

@Alex Whiteman

I don't know what you mean by calling the school and telling them you have a scholarship? No clue about housing at individual schools, so feel free to post another topic about it. However, I haven't heard of any scholarship students not being provided a room if it's a full scholarship. They won't release results until June or July, so it is completely up to you on your plan.

As people are still sending in their application I want to keep the discussion on the application process. After the April 30th deadline we can play the waiting game.

Until when should I wait before deciding that I ain't getting the scholarship?

This is really a matter of personal discretion. Other than the anomaly of a few Canadians (myself included) receiving responses in February, scholarship recipients generally won't hear back until sometime in June or July. It can wreak havoc with backup plans, but not much can be done...

Is it viable to just contact them and ask... after, say, June?

Contacting the CSC directly is nigh on impossible, and if you somehow got through they probably wouldn't tell you a thing. However, periodically contacting the Embassy/Consulate you applied through, to check on your status, isn't a bad idea. There's a good chance they'll have no idea either, since they probably pass on the results as soon as they get them, but you may get lucky.

I think the answer to your dilemma lies in the answer to this question: Are you going to pursue your studies in China, at one of the universities selected, regardless of the scholarship funding being there?

If the answer is "Yes", then I would apply directly to the schools as well. The scholarship funding, in this case, is more a nice surprise than it is essential.

If the answer if "No", than I would not apply to the schools directly. This could be "No" either due to lacking the financial means to self-fund, or (as was the case when I applied) having the flexibility to re-apply the next year if I missed out on the scholarship.