Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Since I'm 37 (and only concerned with learning language), does this mean I can not apply for the CSC Scholarship? I'm puzzled as I have the Confucius Scholarship for the current year (2010-2011).

This thread only provides information for the CSC scholarship and not the Confucius Scholarship. Sure the Confucius Scholarship may go through or receive quotas from the CSC, but it's requirements just vary way too much. I suggest you contact the Confucius Institute first to see about your options.

If you don't mind the time and money then you may also apply for the CSC as we don't know for sure how you get declined or accepted. Yet, don't be surprised if you are rejected due to your age.

Regarding the medical check - is that required to apply? (It was not for the Confucius Scholarship) This is strange as it will expire before the next school year!

We don't know if it is for certain, but make sure to include it in your application pack. Depending on who you ask, you may use your medical results up to 3-6 months after being issued.

Well after 2.5 months in Dalian studying I know I've come a long way from where I was but I also have a long way to go. Feeling a bit frustrated but I'm enjoying myself. Thinking about applying for the scholarship again next year for various reasons, good to see another thread alive and well with Brian US at the helm :)

• New Members

I'd been reading this thread to get information about the CSC Scholarship, and thought I'd make an account to share some information I found out for those applying for the Scholarship from the UK. I recently emailed the Chinese Embassy in London to inquire about it and received the following reply:

The Chinese Scholarships to foreign students by the Chinese Scholarship Council(www.csc.edu.cn) can be applied either through the Chinese Embassies abroad or to Chinese universities directly.

The Chinese Embassy in the UK entrusts some universities and schools here in the UK to select most deserving applicants for the scholarship. Students apply to their universities or schools directly for it.

Please check whether your university or school is part of this program.

If it is not part of this program, you can apply directly to Chinese universities that you hope to go to study at.

I think this suggests that any UK applicants have to hope their educational institution is signed up to this program, and then apply through them. It's a bit disappointing because I'm not in that position. Or am I reading this wrongly?

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Depending on who you ask, you may use your medical results up to 3-6 months after being issued.

Does anyone know if you are able to use the Chinese health declaration when applying? As I have one and it will be valid for the CSC application period. (Not to mention that as I have this, I no longer have any original copies of my medical).

Troy

thewamphyri

If you are already in China with a residence permit, couldn't you request a copy of the health certificate from the school/employer that you are currently with? If they are unwilling or unable to give you a copy of it or give you the original so that you can make a copy of it, you can probably go to the health facility that did the exam and buy a copy of it. If you did your exam at the same place I did in Nanjing, you're able to buy a second copy of the exam with the almighty red stamp on it.

Also, can't we just send a copy of our visa with our applications? If we are currently in China, we MUST HAVE passed the medical exam to receive the residence permit. I'm considering sending a copy of the health certificate, if I can get it, and the residence permit to satisfy the health screening requirement.

I'm considering sending a copy of the health certificate, if I can get it, and the residence permit to satisfy the health screening requirement.

I sent both. I also included my grades for my first semester at BLCU.

Hello Brian,

How did you get your grade from BLCU? Since mine is due the end of December I won't be able to get the grade from the first semester but I think it is still better to put my grade from the midterms to show I have been working hard since I came here. Should I talk to the teachers or people in the office for my midterm marks?

Thanks.

Hi Brian US,

Thanks for your reply!

I have two questions that I hope you can answer for me:

1) How/where did you obtain the health certificate? I'm currently studying at BLCU, and I would like to apply for the CSC Scholarship again for next year, and I think your experience will be especially helpful.

2) Did you get the health certificate, residence permit, and semester grades notarized? The health certificate has a red stamp on it, which might be sufficient, but I rather take the well-traveled path than blaze my own trail and make a mistake here. So, what worked for you before will probably work again.

Thank you very much for your time and effort, Brian US!

@madik

You're a Canadian from Ontario, right? Brian US is an American, which means you two have different deadlines. Grades being available in late December will be a problem for you as your CSC application is due late December. For Americans, we can apply as late as March or April. I'm not an expert, but I have two possible solutions: A) The semester grades might actually be finished before the end of December depending on when you take your exams. You can politely followup with the school to see when the grades are actually available and then expedite mail them to the embassy or whoever is handling your app in Canada, or B ) Mail your grades to the embassy as part of your application after you have submitted the application, but be sure to clear this with someone at the embassy before doing it. Chances are, the CSC apps hang out at the embassy for some time before they are sent to Beijing for the second, third, fourth... approval.

Hello Helios,

Thank you for your suggestion. My exams are at the beginning of January so even if the result comes out, it won't be until the middle of January and it is kind of late:S Anyways, I will talk to my teachers here and see how that goes.

By the way, can we not use the foreigner's physical exam we had at the beginning of semester for this one? The one I had from Canada was outdated so I had to get one here when I arrived in BJ in September and I still have a copy of it. Since the embassy requests a copy, I thought it would be enough. Please correct me if I am mistaken here.

@madik

Good luck with the semester grade report! I'm not confident enough right now to say that my grades will be good enough at the end of the semester to demonstrate. I'm not a bad student, but I'm definitely struggling. =P

You're referring to the "Physical Examination Record for Foreigner and the Personnel from Hong Kong Macao and Taiwan", right? This should work, I think. Brian US, can you verify this? Is what you did when you were at BLCU and applied for a second time for the CSC Scholarship? Sorry to bother you again, Brian US! *indebted*

How did you get your grade from BLCU?

You just pick them up at the main building in January, which of course is past your deadline. I don't think they print out an official midterm grade, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. Both my recommendation letters came from my teachers, so I'm sure that reflects on how you are doing in class. My teachers mentioned how I won the speaking competition for lower elementary! BOOOOO YAAAA

1) How/where did you obtain the health certificate?

This was done in September through BLCU by shuttle bus to an authorized hospital.

2) Did you get the health certificate, residence permit, and semester grades notarized?

No. All were copies, except I sent the original grades.

By the way, can we not use the foreigner's physical exam we had at the beginning of semester for this one?

This is up in the air as I mentioned before, the physical exam to get your resident permit may only be good for 3-6 months.

From the 2010 thread I mentioned I used my September 2009 physical exam. With the 6 month window it would only be good until March, but I sent my application out in February. When I called the D.C. embassy and asked if I could use this old one, the contact said it would be fine. She then mentioned that I should update my HIV test. As I was heading back to China a few days later, I told her I would need to have the test done in Beijing. She then said not to bother and here I quote,"If you don't think you have HIV, it should be fine."

You're referring to the "Physical Examination Record for Foreigner and the Personnel from Hong Kong Macao and Taiwan", right?

Not really sure what that is, but sounds legit for those from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan. Mine just says Health Examination Record from Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center. As long as your physical examination is up to date and includes all the criteria of the FOREIGNER PHYSICAL EXAMINATION FORM you should be good.

On another note, a family emergency has me going back to the states until the end of the month. The time difference and other responsibilities may delay my responses.

If it is not part of this program, you can apply directly to Chinese universities that you hope to go to study at.

I think this suggests that any UK applicants have to hope their educational institution is signed up to this program, and then apply through them. It's a bit disappointing because I'm not in that position. Or am I reading this wrongly?

Chinese universities do pick scholarship students with some having their own, but most will need to go through the CSC. If you are applying for the CSC you need to send the application to your home country's Chinese embassy. What they probably mean by educational institutions signed up to programs is that these are third parties working for the CSC. I think the largest third party would be the Confucius Institute. You may still apply through a third party or directly.

@Brian US

1) How/where did you obtain the health certificate?

This was done in September through BLCU by shuttle bus to an authorized hospital.

Okay, and when you got the results from the hospital and before you applied for the residence permit and had to surrender the health certificate to the PSB, you made copies of the health certificate, right?

Also, the "Physical Examination Record for Foreigner and the Personnel from Hong Kong Macao and Taiwan" is for foreigners and for people from HK, MC, and TW, not exclusively for people from HK, MC, and TW. This is the name of the document that the authorized hospital provided. It meets the criteria; so, it should be good. So, I will send a copy of the health certificate, the original physical exam record with the beautiful red stamp, and a copy of my residence permit just to be safe.

I hope everything is okay for you at home. If you need anything done in Beijing, please let me know. I know you probably have friends that you know better than me and are more comfortable with asking for help, but if you need something done, just let me know. It's the least I can do repay you for your help. Thank you, Brian US!

Okay, and when you got the results from the hospital and before you applied for the residence permit and had to surrender the health certificate to the PSB, you made copies of the health certificate, right?

I didn't make copies. I remember giving BLCU the health certificate and I assume they gave it back when my visa was taken care of, as I still have the original copy.

The only time I ever made copies of the health certificate was when I sent it with my CSC application.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be gone for long. Just looking forward to possibly my last Thanksgiving in the states and trying a McRib for the first time.

I didn't make copies. I remember giving BLCU the health certificate and I assume they gave it back when my visa was taken care of, as I still have the original copy.

After I went to the hospital for the examination, the health certificate was picked up by BLCU. After BLCU obtained the health certificate, I went to room 107 to pick up the health certificate, put it together with the other necessary documents, then I went to the PSB to apply for the residence permit. And, as far as I know the application for the residence permit requires the health certificate. Afterward, I went to the PSB, picked up my passport with the newly minted residence permit inside, but I wasn't given any documents back, nor do I think you are supposed to get them back as they are part of the PSB records. Apparently, our routes to obtaining the residence permits diverged at some point, and I don't know how! :blink: Did you by chance give the PSB a copy of your certificate rather than the original? That might explain why you still have the original. Anyways, I can probably go to the authorized hospital and buy another copy with the beautiful red stamp on it.

The last Thanksgiving? Hopefully, you'll return home for a bit after your master's degree is finished, and you can again enjoy the splendors of home. :) Enjoy your R&R at home!