Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Hello I'm from the Philippines!

I'm interested in applying for the language scholarship but my grades are very poor, average to maybe even below average, also I was never part of any school organization and has not done any sort of community service...should I just give up? I feel so unqualified.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Economics, but that's just a diploma, and it's all I can offer...

@OneEye

Sometimes the wording can be confusing as some may see "study in China as senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation" as possibly the standard language study, but it isn't. They don't clearly state no recommendation letters required for language students, so it is up to you. If you can't get teachers to help you, feel free to throw in anything professional looking from employers or neighbors.

RE: MID-STUDY APPLICATION

Hey guys

Mine is somewhat of a special case and I couldn't find anything already posted that can help me so i'd love some help here.

I'm studying at a university in China, I've completed 3 semesters (1.5yrs) of the language program (no credit, other than speaking great chinese).

Assuming that I get an HSK6 during the next semester and that I take the exams I for the unattended years, I've got the green light from my school to shift directly into 2nd year undergraduate program instead of starting from year one.

I was talking to my friends who studied at my uni and they told me that I would be able to get a scholarship(I wish I had found out 18months ago!!), which led me to this great site. I've read everything and just wanted to clarify a couple of questions that have remained unanswered:

1. Can I explain that I'm entering into 2nd year in my application form? (My instincts tell me to keep quiet as I'm assuming that the government won't want to hear that I'm being placed directly into year two ...or maybe they will be cool with it?)

2. Should I bite the bullet and pay for one semester of undergrad scheme to officially be in the program and have the paper to back it up and apply for the scholarship for my final two years? (This would probably be less of a headache for my school, even though I have a great relationship with them, they are doing me a solid.. But who wants to pay 10,000元 when you don't have to!!)

3. Is it even possible to apply for the scholarship mid-way through study at a chinese uni? The first semester is usually in September, right? So I will be applying for the 2nd semester of year2.

4. Should I apply for the scholarship and not tell CSC that I've already done study and just leave it up to my school to accept my application (they will) and to put me directly into year 2?

Hope this isn't too confusing. I wish I had found out about this earlier and you can imagine that I'm not interested in starting all over again, but I also don't want to miss out on a great scholarship opportunity.

TLDR: skipping a yr from language into 本科, can I apply for a scholarship?

Regards,

Peter

Hello admin, I don't really understand this whole restriction thing,. SO does it mean that I need to have 5 posts before any of those posts can be shown?

I'm really interested in the scholarship and when I discovered this forum and this particular thread I became excited especially knowing that the application deadline for the Philippines is still on April. However, as with my previous question...are college grades as well as extra-curricular activities important when applying for the language scholarship? I was not a very active student during college and my grades were not very impressive either(average to below average), but I'm really interested in applying for this scholarship because I finally have a goal that I want to pursue. Should I still go for it or don't bother?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to post another query rather than an answer to a question but...

I am a British citizen currently in China. I am teaching in Beijing and intend to apply for a CSC scholarship next year. As I am not currently affiliated with a Confucius Institute I understand that the only way to apply for a CSC scholarship would be to do so privately - directly through the Chinese embassy in London. I sent them an email and received this reply:

Since the total number of the Chinese Government scholarship is very limited, Education Section, Chinese Embassy cannot afford to accept the individual application open to the public. We usually send notice letters to some of the VCs of the UK universities and ask the recommendation from the university after we got information and directions from CSC (China Scholarship Council) . And also not all UK universities have been involved. Most of the universities so far involved are either have a very close cooperation relationship with Chinese Universities or has established Confucius Institute. We will try to get more UK universities to be involved in the future.

So, are there any Brits here with any experience of this themselves and could anyone suggest another way of applying?

Cheers,

M

Hi Everyone! Saludos!

I will be applying for the 2011 CSC Chinese language scholarship this year.

Situation: I applied to the CSC last year (2010), as an American citizen, for an English-taught MA degree. I was denied the scholarship. This year I'm applying to study Chinese language. My concern is whether there are fewer scholarships/more applicants for the spaces available for American citizens. This very well could be the case. Reason for this could be because the U.S. is a wealthier country, therefore there more students who are able to pay tuition.

Strategy: I'm a dual-national (U.S. and Mexican citizenship). I'm considering applying as a Mexican citizen this year to increase my chances. I read Rubjar's post and it has a lot of good insight. I believe the Chinese govt' is allowing more spaces in the CSC for students from developing nations. I met two guys who were studying Chinese medicine in Yunnan last year, both were from Chile, and from what they told me, there are many South American students right now in China on the CSC.

I want to know what the posters on this forum think about this strategy. If it works out for me, perhaps other applicants with dual citizenship can do the same!

dual citizenship

Note when doing this that Chinese does not recognise dual citizenship so it is possible if you did do this, and were accepted you would need (there is a possibility anyway) to use your non-US passport for entry/exit (which may or may not be a problem depending where you lived).

As for if it helps - here at Nanjing University most of the language (this all I have knowledge of) students on the CSC are not from developing countries - most of them are British!

I should add - I'm not saying don't try, it's just something to be aware of (dual).

And the country - as said below - who knows how they work it?

@beans

I say just go for it anyway. As we all previously mentioned nobody really knows exactly how they choose applicants. I have a Filipino classmate from last year whom i encouraged to apply from the scholarship. He admitted he had bad grades back in college (although i never really saw his transcript so i have no idea how bad they were). But he went and applied anyway and he got accepted. So i say just go for it!

i remember i wrote a freaking book basically on why and how im so awesome, why all the goals/intentions of study i have are so awesome, and why the chinese government would be making a great investment in me if they gave me the scholarship.

Hi, i'm indonesian and i just found out about this scholarship this year. i just know someone from indonesia who got this scholarship too, but she doesn't mention clearly about how does she apply for it. i wonder if anyone here could give me an explanation and answer my question please?

1. what's the different between General Scholar and Chinese Language Student besides the age and the degree? i have my bachelor degree and i want to learn chinese language, can i use General Scholar? Does anyone here or maybe last year approved candidate got the scholarship under the General Scholar not the master degree?

2. if i use the General Scholar do i still have to submit the letter of recommandation? how about the chinese language student?

3. if i'm applying online and download the form after i fill it online, do they know that i'm applying for FULL scholarship instead of the partial one? because as you see online application a little bit different than the manual one.

4. i'm still confuse about where to apply this scholar. someone i know that i mentioned above who got this scholar under master degree last year, she said that 'just send an email to the university u choose with the application' but what i've read from here is that i have to send to the 'home country china embassy'. which one? if i send it to my home country should i make a phone call first or just send it to them?

5. what if the condition that i'm not working right now and nor a student anymore too? is it ok if i just empty the employment filling form? (actually i just move to a new company)

6. is the Foreign Physical Examination has to be notarized too? not enough if only my doctor fill it??

sorry if my question are a bit silly, because i really really new to this kind of things. a bit information about me, i already attend some chinese language course here in my country for a view month and already taking the HSK level 3 last month, but the result hasn't come out yet, i heard maybe on march or april next year the certificate will distributed. i really want to apply for this scholar, since i need to be fluent of this language for my job (for my future too, i bet :P) really appreciate to anyone who can help me here.. Thanks~

As crisgee just mentioned we really don't know what helps or hurts your chances of getting the scholarship.

2. Should I bite the bullet and pay for one semester of undergrad scheme to officially be in the program and have the paper to back it up and apply for the scholarship for my final two years?

There is a chance that the CSC places you at another school, so we don't know if already being in school helps your chances. I suggest you apply for the scholarship anyway, but keep in mind it is only for students starting in September. If you are truly set on a specific school then try contacting the school to work out arrangements.

@meipie

1. If you plan to just study Chinese language then select Chinese language training.

2. We don't know, but I suppose letters of recommendation wouldn't hurt.

3. We don't know how the online application works, so fill out that and the regular application.

4. Send your application to the Chinese embassy in Indonesia. Feel free to follow up on your own to make sure they received it.

5. Up to you as we don't know what they look for.

6. "Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid." Doesn't appear to be anything about it being notarized, but make sure to send only a copy.

does anyone know how to make a reccomandation letter? i have one person who wants to reccomand but she doesn't know how to do it and ask me to write it down then she'll translate it into chinese (since she's a chinese teacher in some private school) and sign it herself. can anyone help me with format letter? thanks~

Meipie: You can google how to write rec letters, there are many resources out there for rec letter writers.

OneEye: Tape or glue a passport photo on there and the hospital where you get your physical exam form should use an official hospital stamp to stamp halfway on the photo and halfway on the paper. If they don't have a stamp of an official "seal" just ask if they have a stamp with the hospital name and address or something.

Ah, unfortunately The Lady Who Has The Stamp has run off with The Man Who Knows How To Turn The Fax Machine On. Don't expect to get much done next year - it's expected to be China's most inefficient year since 2004, when The Man With The Key To The Mailroom and The Woman Who Actually Makes The Decisions Around Here both came down with 'flu.

Letters of Rec

If you can get them, get them. If you cannot, it might be okay. However, a positive letter from someone authoritative and knows you shouldn't be that hard. High school or college teacher, boss, a leader of a volunteer group, etc.

beans

Don't worry, we can see your posts.

Tianjin42

I'm not British, but it seems a bit odd that you are unable to apply directly to the embassy for the scholarship. In my experience as an American, I think applying to the embassy directly is better than applying via Confucius Institute ("CI") as this provides one more institute to lose/mishandle your application. Perhaps, you can contact a CI and ask them if they can handle the application for you in the Chinese embassy in London is denying your request. Also, Brian US, do you happen to have the contact information for the UK? Maybe, Tianjin42 has encountered an individual who does not know what's going on and contacting someone else will give him better/more accurate answers.

Bullitt

In my experience at BLCU, I would say that most students are from the developing world, minus the huge Korean population. Besides the Koreans, it seems like Africans, Arabs, and people from Central Asia are highly represented. You can apply as a Mexican, but you will most assuredly have to use your Mexican nationality (passport) for everything once your here. If that does not trouble you, I don't foresee any other issues.

roddy

I love your signature: "This is the most comfortable forum you have ever run into. You will feel like writing in it all the time..."