Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

@porz, this is how I understand it.

Agency number refers to the third party who will submit your application to CSC on behalf. In most cases, it is the embassy of PRC in your home country regardless where you are currently.

You can choose to write up to 3 schools of your choice, no agency number is required to be written for each of the school.

Additional information for this year's CSC scholarship for Filipino applicants. I just gave Ms Zhang a call. She said that only 5 scholarships will be given for the Chinese Language Program. She also said that applicants should meet the qualifications of CHED first before filling out the application form.

• Like 1

in the application online of CSC they ask us enter the Agency No!

I posted a list one page back.

can please give me the list of universities have the highest percentage to accept my application.

No one has this. We don't know exactly what improves or hurts your chances of getting the scholarship.

- If I choose 3 university as HEU,Zheijang,Beihang .What university 's agency no. that I should fill in online application ? Should I fill first university for agency no. ?

Put in the agency number of your first choice as long as it automatically appears as your first choice in the field(Can someone confirm this? I only did it last year).

- Is need to fill only one agency no. in online application ?

Yes, one agency number.

- If I can apply 3 university ,Is i can send application for apply CSC to these university Or I can only send to only one university that I fill agency no.

The first post of the thread will explain the path your application will take. Basically the CSC will send your application to your choices and we don't know why or how the decision is made. You may get your first choice or maybe you are sent to a school not even on your list. I for one, was accepted to my third choice school.

@seb120x

do you know if this is because Beijing schools will accept those who simply applied for language study?

I would say this has more to do with most language training being done in Beijing and most CSC applicants are simply studying language.

1 I think you applied and won a masters scholarship, but do you know any folks I could contact who have simply gone in for "Chinese Language Training?"

My year spent at BLCU, out of the over 20 students in my class I was the only non scholarship student. They were all on one/two year language study. Did you have a specific question about this?

2 I have the agency number for several schools I want to apply to, but do I only use 1 agency number, and then list 3 schools that I'd like?

Use the agency number for your top choice school and it should fill in that first field with that school's name. Then put in the next few choices.

3 I think you just sent all your documents last year to your home consulate? Jiao Tong told me I must send my app to their office - - but then again, they were only talking about Postgraduate apps, not the "Chinese Language Training" scholarship, which they don't support.

Some schools may accept applications directly, but because this varies so much I would say to play it safe and follow the directions given on the CSC website. This being that you will send your application to the Chinese embassy in D.C.

Sorry that this is such an epic, but it's really been bothering me. Feels good just to put my frustrations out on the net for other like minded students.

This thread is not only to provide information, but also support. I emptied a few bottles of beer preparing my application. If you are thinking about doing a masters then apply for that on top of language study. Unless you really have your heart set on a certain school, you might as well ask the CSC first.

@seven13

I'll send you the contact information I have for the Philippines.

I have a question, there's a part in the online application which I need to indicate the degree and major I will be pursuing but I'm interested in applying for the scholarship under CHINESE LANGUAGE STUDENT. What should I indicate in the degree and major fields?

You could just fill in that section with CHINESE LANGUAGE STUDENT or if they ask for which degree, you could do N/A (not applicable). Best not to leave anything blank.

There is a lot of confusion over Canadian application deadlines. A Canadian classmate from British Columbia, who has been dealing with the CSC for several years, mentioned his deadline isn't until the very end of January. Maybe the confusion comes from those applying to the Confucius Institute, which tend to have earlier deadlines. I recommend sending in your application early and hope for the best.

@seven13

Agency number refers to the third party who will submit your application to CSC on behalf. In most cases, it is the embassy of PRC in your home country regardless where you are currently.

You shouldn't have to go through a third party in order to submit your application to the CSC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the agency number will fill your first choice with the corresponding school. If you use an embassy then it will only leave you two choices. Edit: see below

She also said that applicants should meet the qualifications of CHED first before filling out the application form.

What is CHED? Is this information directly from the CSC in the Philippines or a third party?

both fields (degree/discipline and majors) have drop down choices so I can't input N/A to the field.

You are correct in that you cannot proceed without entering Discipline and Major. This is a serious problem and I will see what combination would work best.

I did just create a new online profile for the online application. The agency number will automatically fill in your first preference line. Again, put the school's agency number that you wish to attend. This may be found under:

Language Proficiency and Proposed Study in China and the sub category of Preferences of Institution 1

Edit: Just skimmed through 20 pages of last years thread and found that most people selected 'Literature' under discipline and 'Chinese Language' under major.

Also on the debate for agency code, it's up in the air. Some contacts have said it is the organization you are applying through, but if you are here then you are probably applying directly. Some people have used the agency code of their embassy, which still allows you to select three schools. Yet, I used the agency code of my first choice (Tsinghua) which automatically filled in my first preference. I still got the scholarship, so I don't know if this is right or wrong.

Hi All,

Regarding the agency number, if you are applying for the scholarship via an embassy/consulate, you are to list their agency number. The agent, in this case, is the embassy/consulate that will handle your application.

Also, for those of you having issues with the online application not giving you the necessary freedom of choice, just don't do it: fill out the application form by hand or on the computer, print it, and submit it to the embassy/consulate with the rest of your documents. This is exactly what I did last year, and I did indeed receive the scholarship. Furthermore, I did not list an agency number last year, because there was far too much confusion about what it was, and I hoped when the embassy received my application, they would know what to do, and apparently they did.

Those who are available for online application shall fill in and submit the application form online first and then submit the printed version and the supporting documents required by CSC to the dispatching authorities.

Please visit the CSC Online Application System for Study in China (http://laihua.csc.edu.cn).

Those who cannot apply online shall ask their dispatching authorities for the application form and submit the documents to the dispatching authorities.

The application form can be downloaded online, which means you DO NOT need to ask for the forms from the "dispatching authorities".

@Brian

The cake is a lie!

@seven13

Hey musta. :D I concur with Brian. If you chose CHINESE LANGUAGE STUDENT you can choose Literature for your Discipline and Chinese Language for your Major. These are what i chose last year.

The agency number for the applicants using the CHED-Chinese Embassy route is 6081. Check with Ms. Zhang if this is still the same. I believe if you're applying directly to a university, you input that university's agency number. But seven13, for your purposes just use 6081.

Wow, they cut down this year eh? We were 3 in 2009 and 10 (but some were MAs and PhDs) in 2010. Maybe there are also slots for postgrads?

Regarding CHED... the truth is, for the past two years CHED has not given any additional guidelines. They just act as the Chinese Embassy's mailbox really. I just did the CSC requirements and submitted them to the International Affairs Service of the CHED Main Office in UP Diliman (I've dicussed this at length in the previous threads). I do not know if they actually look at the requirements themselves in order to screen the applicants. Don't worry about it. Maybe you can call CHED at 4410750. The OIC for the past two years has been Ms. Cora.

Good luck and i hope you'll continue to update everybody! The battle for the 5 slots begins!

@Helios

I think this is a case to case basis. Last year, since i was re-applying I just revised the 2009 application form save in my computer to fit my 2010 application. After submitting the materials I got a call around a couple of weeks after (but before the deadline)from my country's Chinese embassy OIC (Ms. Zhang) and asked me to do the online application. Then she asked me to fax the accomplished form to her.

So maybe some countries are strict about the format and some are not.

The cake is a lie!

What cake? My savvy Google skills on Urban Dictionary show this roughly translates to "your promised reward is merely a fictitious motivator". Popularized by the game "Portal."

As crisgee just said, I wouldn't recommend telling people NOT to do the online application. There are ways to fill out most of it and this certainly won't hurt your chances. We also have reports that it is required for some countries.

@Brian US: I think Crisgee said "The cake is a lie!" regarding the meal you are supposed to get for taking over the thread.

I definitely agree with you that we should do the online form. Last year I didn't, but maybe I was lucky. After submitting the paper application, I emailed the lady at the embassy and asked her if she would like me to fill out the online application, and she said it was not necessary. The safer and probably better route is to fill out the online application, but if for some reason you cannot/don't want to do the online application, it might be okay. This year, I intend to use the online form, because I know how to use it properly this time. :P

@crisgee: You're right. It seems like every consulate/embassy has their own protocols.

@BRian, as per crisgee mentioned in the archived CSC, CHED (commission on higher education) is the one who accepts the application and then forwards it to the PRC embassy here in Manila. I was able to confirm directly from Ms. Cora (of CHED) that there are certain qualifications for applicants which she did not mentioned what those qualifications are since they are yet to wait for the invitation from the PRC embassy regarding this year's CSC. Ms. Cora advised me to call them from time to time to check if the application is already open.

Ms. Zhang also told me to check first if I am qualified to apply for the scholarship before filling up the online application. Another thing I found out from Ms. Cora. They are prioritizing government employees to receive the scholarship (the order came from DFA-Department of Foreign Affairs) but nonetheless, I will still apply for the scholarship.

@crisgee, I think Ms Zhang was referring to the slots for the Chinese Language Program.

@Helios @Brian

Yup, I was referring to the dinner. Haha sorry that discussion was so last year. :D

@seven13

Aight. Calling and following up -- that will pretty much be the case for the next few months. Be strong! Good luck!

@crisgee, thanks! I already finished the online application. Now I need to write the study plan. BTW, sorry for repetitively asking this question. Did you submit 2 recommendation letters and papers written/published? I'm planning to submit an executive summary of my thesis if I can still retrieve it.

Thanks again!

Two things:

Am I completely blind or have they failed to post the due dates for 2011 yet?

Also, what about another thread dedicated completely just to sharing study plans and SOPs? I'd really like to read what those who have been granted the scholarship have written in the past.

Am I completely blind or have they failed to post the due dates for 2011 yet?

New deadlines have not been posted for this year. I bet they will not update the application forms either.

Also, what about another thread dedicated completely just to sharing study plans and SOPs?

I'll be back in the States in a few weeks, so maybe I can find the rest of my application I sent in.

i think im enjoying this thread so much more knowing that im not responsible for answering these questions.

i couldnt even if i wanted to - this seems to have changed a lot in the three/four years since i applied.

agency code. hah!

hello,friends!!

I've just registered in this forum.

I study in the one of university in Beijing,and it's my last year of bachelor.so,i'm going to apply to CSC to get further education. Now,i have to read the previous years posts of the forum..in turn,i hope,you guys help me with it. ))

See you