Chinese-Forums

Pronouncing yi, yin, ying

Master Rakoczi

Till this day I have prononunced

yi as

yin as [in]

ying as [iŋ]

However today I noticed that in two different dictionaries yin and ying are clearly prononounced as [jin] and [jiŋ].

Yet yi in those dictionaries still sounds like and not [ji].

But after checking out the Wikipedia page about the palatal approximant j, I found out that there yi is transcripted as [ji].

I'm confused to what is the "standard" Mandarin pronunciation with these sounds?

The syllables yi, yin, ying, are likely to be spoken without the palatal approximant, and often with a glottal stop. For example, 憶 [ʔi˥˩] 因 [ʔin˥] 英 [ʔiŋ˥]. And I remember another thread which suggests that there might be differentiation between (or [ji]) and [ʔi] for some speakers.

• 3 years later...

I glad you created this thread, because I noticed the same thing.

I'm Chinese American, learning Mandarin. 

Most of the time, I come across the following IPA pronunciations -

yi as /i/

yin as /jin/

ying as /jIŋ/

but sometimes I come across these alternative IPA pronunciations by native mandarin speakers

yi as /ji/

yin as /in/ and /jIn/

ying as /jəŋ/ by northerners

Some native speakers don't distinguish between these.  I recommend you just stick to what you hear the most to fit in, but be aware of these differences, as you will hear them from other speakers.

---

Another common pronunciation difference I hear is, -iu which I hear mostly pronounced as /ioʊ/ but have heard /iu/ .

Especially, "6" which is in pinyin liu or IPA as /lioʊ/.  But I hear /liu/ a lot.

I hear both pronunciations used interchangeable, so seems speakers don't distinguish the two. 

---

Stick to one for yourself, and be flexible when you hear the differences. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...