Chinese-Forums

Getting started

christopher8

• New Members

Like most, there are several reasons for my interest in teaching English in China. For quite some time now, the thought of doing this has quickened my heartbeat and plagued my mind. I personally cannot think of anything more rewarding for me to do at this point in my life. Although I am an extremely quick learner and can pick up foreign languages quite easily, I have no formal training or schooling aside from a high school diploma. There is not one thing that I believe is too difficult for any determined individual to do, and I am willing to go through any amount of training to be able to do this. Herein lies my question; I know it is possible for me to teach english in China, but where do I begin?

-What amount of schooling do I need, and where do I get this from?

-Is a college degree absolutely necessary, or so beneficial that it would be ludacris not to get one?

-If I do not need a college degree, what training programs are best(I have read about TESOL, ESL, and several others)?

-I do not mind roughing it in the more underdeveloped parts of the country where others may not want to go. Would it be safer to start somewhere more developed first until I learn more about living China?

-How much money am I looking at saving up until to make the trip there, plus the time I am living there before any type of paycheck?

-Will there even be a paycheck in the more underdeveloped parts of the country, or will I need to find another way to make money?

I have done my fair share of research on the internet, but now I would like some answers from others who have been where I am, and are now where I want to be. Thank you so much for any and all help.

-love, peace, and truth be with you always, Christopher

Like most, there are several reasons for my interest in teaching English in China.

What are your reasons?

Is a college degree absolutely necessary, or so beneficial that it would be ludacris not to get one?

It is the latter: "...so beneficial that it would be *ludicrous* not to get one"

Are you a recent high school graduate? What work have you done in your home country since graduation? Is there a way you could take a trip to China and see how you like it, before committing yourself to a more extended plan?

• New Members

My reasons:

-I want to be somewhere that I enjoy being and doing something I enjoy doing, but is also beneficial to someone besides myself.

-The culture of the eastern world intrigues me much more than that of the western world.

-I believe that I would grow as a person, and also be helping others to grow. This is an opportunity for me to learn just as much as any student I would be teaching.

-I know that I need to be surrounded by a new people. Most of the people I am surrounded by in America do nothing but make me sick.

-I know that I would be great at teaching, and it would be very fulfilling for me.

-The philosophies, ideologies, and lifestyle choices prominent in Chinese culture are much closer to mine than those in America.

-I want to be around a people who do not mock peace and virtue, and have a sense of honor and are not so wasteful in everything they do.

-China is beautiful, and I have only seen pictures!

If you believe I am wanting to do this for the wrong reasons, please feel free to let me know.

As far as work that I have done since finishing high school, there has not been much yet. I recently just moved into a new state and am looking for work and volunteer programs to get involved in. Transportation to a college is the only thing keeping me from furthering my education as of right now. Once I have a vehicle I will start taking the steps to attend a school and attain a college degree if it would help me to be able to teach English in China. I will seriously do anything to be able to do this. As far as visiting to see how I like it goes, I do not know if it is possible. Is it? How hard is it to obtain a visitors visa? How much does it cost? How long would I be able to stay for, and would I be able to talk to anybody doing what I am wanting to do? How hard would it be to do my schooling there instead of in the states?

I agree with the above poster in that if you're in a position to get a BA now, you should go ahead and get one. If you're young, it'll be more difficult to do this as you get older. A BA will open a lot more doors for you, here in China and elsewhere.

With that said, it's not 100% necessary, though you will be limited in the jobs you are offered.

Without a BA, you'll definitely need a TESOL. I strongly recommend you take a look my my school's TESOL course as you're shopping others. I believe the package we offer speaks for itself.

As for location, I'd actually recommend you start somewhere that's not one of the major cities. You'll likely find it a much more authentic and rewarding experience. You're also less likely to get spoiled for the future when and if you do go to an underdeveloped part of the country.

How much money you'll need to start depends on how you start. If you start by doing a TESOL course, you'll need to pay for accommodation, food, transportation, etc. That is unless you've looked at my school, which provides free accommodation, meals, transportation, etc. during the month of training. In that case, you just need pocket change for the first month. After that, you'll just need enough to get you to your first real paycheck.

Christopher,

There is certainly nothing wrong with having a dream, and all dreams start with early stages and involve preliminary steps. At the risk of sounding like a fortune cookie, I'd suggest continuing to research the subject and obtaining the skills needed to make your dream a reality.

As far as visiting to see how I like it goes, I do not know if it is possible. Is it? How hard is it to obtain a visitors visa?

Obtaining a tourist visa is easy, although an airplane ticket can be a substantial expense. Actual costs will vary depending on your starting point.

Good luck!

Christopher, do get your college degree in the US first. It's not a hard requirement, but it'll be better both for yourself and your potential students if you go through college first.

-China is beautiful, and I have only seen pictures!

In terms of natural beauty, I am afraid to say that the US is a lot prettier than China as a whole.

-The philosophies, ideologies, and lifestyle choices prominent in Chinese culture are much closer to mine than those in America.

-I want to be around a people who do not mock peace and virtue, and have a sense of honor and are not so wasteful in everything they do.

I think you are going to be sorely disappointed by China. I do not intend to disparage China -- it certainly has pluses and minuses in these categories compared to the USA -- but I think you will find modern China not what you expect.

If these are your reasons, and if you have the funds, I encourage you to travel in China for a couple of weeks before you commit to anything.