Chinese-Forums

喜羊羊 lyrics

trisha2766

I can't get the xi yang yang song out of my head. I looked up the lyrics and the characters I didn't know but I still don't fully understand the meaning of the song. The following is what I've come up with. In many places all I could do was just directly translate the words, and then I feel like I have some vague idea of the meaning. Could someone please explain what the lyrics mean?

Sorry I don't have the tone marks for the pinyin. (I skipped the part where they just list all the characters from the show)

别看我只是一只羊,绿草因为我变得更香,

Bie kan wo zhi shi yi zhi yang, lu cao yin wei wo bian de geng xiang,

Don't look at me as only a sheep , green grass because I become more fragrant,

天空因为我变得更蓝,白云因为我变得柔软。

Tian kong yin wei wo become de geng lan, bai yun yin wei wo bian de rou ruan

sky because I become more blue, white clouds because I become more soft.

别看我只是一只羊,羊儿的聪明难以想象,

Bie kan wo zhi shi yi zhi yang, yang er de cong ming nan yi xiang xiang,

Don't look at me only as a sheep, clever sheep difficult to imagine,

天再高心情 一样奔放,每天都追赶太阳。

Tian zai gao xin qing yi yang ben fang, mei tian dou zhui gan tai yang.

Day again tall frame of mind, bold and unrestrained, every day chase the sun.

有什么难题去牵绊我都不会去心伤,

You shen me nan ti qu qian ban wo dou bu hui qu xin shang,

sometimes difficult problems go come, I all don't go ?

有什么危险在我面前都不会去慌乱

You shen me wei xian zai wo mian qian dou bu hui qu huang luan,

Sometimes dangerous at ? can't get flustered

就算有狼群把我追捕,也当作游戏一场。

Jiu suan you lang qun ba wo zhui bu ye dang zuo you xi yi chang.

Just plan to have wolves pursue and capture me, also to play joke.

在什么时间都爱开心,笑容都会飞翔,

Zai shen me shi jian dou ai kai xin, xiao rong dou hui fei xiang

at what time all open heart, smile all might hover.

就算会摔倒站得起来,

Jiu suan hui shuai dao zhan de qi lai,

Just plan to fall down and stand back up,

永远不会沮丧,在所有天气,

Yong yuan bu hui ju sang, zai suo you tian qi,

Can't be depressed forever, at place (nice?) weather

拥有叫人大笑的力量,虽然我只是羊.。

Yong you jiao da xiao de li liang, sui ran wo zhi shi yang.

support each other to laugh for strength, although I'm just a sheep.

别看我只是一只羊,羊儿的聪明难以想象,

Don't look at me only as a sheep, clever sheep difficult to imagine,

clever sheep difficult to imagine,

This is wrong,it's mean that The sheep is very smart that you can't imagine.

天再高心情 一样奔放,每天都追赶太阳。

Day again tall frame of mind, bold and unrestrained,

It's mean that no meter how high the sky been,mood still be Carefree。

有什么难题去牵绊我都不会去心伤,

sometimes difficult problems go come, I all don't go ?

I won't be sad for everything terrible.

有什么危险在我面前都不会去慌乱

Sometimes dangerous at ? can't get flustered

I won't be panic no meter what danger thing I faced.

绿草因为我变得更香

Might be better to translate this something like "Because of me, green grass becomes more sweet/fragrant"

This sentence pattern is used several times, as you can see.

Also, this sentence pattern:

有什么难题去牵绊我都不会去心伤

有什么危险在我面前都不会去慌乱

Consider: No matter what problems I face, I don't get upset. No matter what kinds of danger I face, I won't panic.

就算有狼群把我追捕,也当作游戏一场。

就算会摔倒站得起来

就算=即使, meaning "even if", so these sentences mean something like: Even if a pack of wolves is chasing me, I treat it like a game. Even if I fall down, I will get back up.

什么。。都 = all. So, 在什么时间都 means "always"

在什么时间都爱开心,笑容都会飞翔.

开心 means happy, not "open heart" :). So the whole sentence is something like "I always love to be happy, with a soaring smile"

永远不会沮丧,在所有天气

Consider something like this: "I will never feel upset, in any weather"

拥有叫人大笑的力量,虽然我只是羊.

Consider something like this: "I have the ability to make people to laugh, even though I'm just a sheep"

I personally also get this song stuck in my head from time to time, but not until today did I actually look at all the words. What a good opportunity :)

Hope this helps.

David

• Like 1

Thank you! It's difficult translating Chinese sometimes. Not being able to understand lyrics like this scares me - it makes me think I will never be able to understand Chinese very well.

For whatever reason my mind always goes blank and I can't remember what '开心' means. The NPCR books don't use that word (at least not in books 1-4), but they use 高兴 and 快乐 a lot. Anyone know why, or what the difference is between those words?

You feel difficult to translating Chinese music,because Lyrics need to rhyme.

I think you should read some book for primary school. like, 小学语文.

There is no significant difference between the three of "开心,快乐,高兴".

We can replace them by others.

Not being able to understand lyrics like this scares me

As siqi just said, lyrics are not a good starting point for learning a new language or assessing your own skills. They are often made for the sake of rhyme and flow, and they are not meant to be a coherent piece of writing like an essay or a story is.

Thank you! It's difficult translating Chinese sometimes. Not being able to understand lyrics like this scares me - it makes me think I will never be able to understand Chinese very well.

For whatever reason my mind always goes blank and I can't remember what '开心' means. The NPCR books don't use that word (at least not in books 1-4), but they use 高兴 and 快乐 a lot. Anyone know why, or what the difference is between those words?

Don't worry, lyrics are generally harder to understand than normal sentences, because they don't seem to be as complete. Just think of 开心 in its literal terms "opening up the heart" and it would somehow equate to "happy".

Anyway, hope my attempt at this helps:

别看我只是一只羊,羊儿的聪明难以想象,

Although I'm only a sheep, our intelligence is beyond your imagination.

天再高心情 一样奔放,每天都追赶太阳。

Our mood is still carefree no matter how far away the sky is. We chase the sun everyday.

有什么难题去牵绊我都不会去心伤,

I won't become dejected in the face of a predicament.

有什么危险在我面前都不会去慌乱

I won't panic when danger is afoot.

Regarding not knowing basic, common vocab words (like 开心):

Isn't this just an inevitable consequence of textbook study?

For example, in one of my classes (which I'm sort of going to stop going to, since I feel I learn more with self-study), we are studying 汉语教程第三册下, making it the sixth book (I think?) in the series. But, halfway through the book, words like 医生, 科学, 改, appear as "new words"!

Astonishing. I guess there are simply too many elementary level words than one can fit into the elementary level textbooks. I'm going off-topic, I suppose...

Did I forget to mention that I absolutely love this show even though I'm nearly 18? :mrgreen:

I guess there are simply too many elementary level words than one can fit into the elementary level textbooks. I'm going off-topic, I suppose...

Yeah, true. It can be quite difficult for textbooks to cover every single synonym simply because there are so many of them. But I reckon English has a lot more.

I can't get the xi yang yang song out of my head.

Yes, the song just sticks in the head. My daughter found a new favorite 功夫星猫. Its theme music is very simple, happy, and easy to follow too. 我是一只猫。快乐的星猫。周围冒气泡。音乐的符号。

Now I just think of it, it's gonna ring in my head for a while. Ah, children's music.

No it's not a movie, but a Chinese TV series. Its overall quality isn't bad. Good for kindergardeners. I particularly like its theme song.

Now I just did a little research. It seems 星猫 has many series. The one my daughter current watch is Kung-fu series, but there're different themes including sci-fi, detective stories, and, classic poetry, Chinese foods... hmm it's becoming funny.

lyrics are not a good starting point for learning a new language

Yes, but that's just it - I'm not just starting out, I've been studying off and on for a long time!

valikor - That's a good point about what's missing from textbooks. I really like the NPCR books, but you can't learn everything from them.

doraemon - I know adults who really like the show too.

I'm trying to read children's books and watch children's shows, to help me learn, but also because of our recently adopted 2 year old from China. She loves 喜羊羊! Even though it seems she's a bit young for it. I'm excited that China Sprout is now selling 喜羊羊 toys and dvd's. I bought, from what I understand, are 2010 episodes while we were in China, but I'd like to buy some of the older ones too. I'm getting off topic, but I figure if I'm going to watch shows like that with her and learn something from it, I want to know what the theme song means. I really need to improve my listening skills. And speaking skills. And reading. ... ... But with taking care of a 2 year old, my text book study time is now very limited - except now I can watch TV and learn at the same time with her!

OT - I also have some Elmo and Dora in Chinese. I got the Dora dvd's in China too - 52 episodes on 2 dvd's! And reasonably priced. I wish I could have done more shopping while we were there. I'll have to check into 功夫星猫.

Thanks again!