Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Spring / Feb Semester 2011 [Chinese Language Program]

lamchr

Hey guys,

I'm going to go to Tsinghua University to study in the Chinese Language Program this spring. I have already applied and been accepted, but I noticed that they're not sending out my admissions documents until January. Is it me or does that seem kind of late? Has anyone else applied to the program for the spring?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Aatje89 and Lww84,

I was told that via email (I haven't received the admission package yet) we can't reserve a room in the on-campus apartment/dorm and that the availability is on first-come first-serve basis.

Is it the same with you guys? How do you plan to go about it if you can't secure a room? Do you have friends/families to help you find off-campus apartment & do all the paperwork.

I haven't really thought about what to do if I can't get a room. But I read in another thread that they guaranteed there was enough room for the spring semester since not that many people sign up. If it does happen I guess I'll have to stay in a ho(s)tel until I can find some place to live. I don't have any family or friends in Beijing to help me, so I hope it doesn't come to that.

And yes lww84, I'm Dutch. :) I still need to get my visa, but I booked the flight months ago. I'll be flying from Schiphol Feb 13th (with a transfer in London) and I'll arrive in Beijing the 14th somewhere in the morning. Guess that means I'll be flying in a month, so excited. ^^

@WWW

Well you shouldn't be worried about the dorm/housing. If there are no more rooms available(I highly doubt that) I think Qinghua will definately help you to find a suitable apartment or room for you. I'll arrive in BJ on the 15th, so I'll stay a few days in a hotel/hostel near the Uni. I still don't know if I should stay at the dormitory, cause I find it a bit expensive. You need to pay 6 months (180 days) rent and a deposit of 200 RMB.

The single and the AB double room (shared bath and toilet)are both 80 RMB a day. That is 2400 RMB a month, for me it's 272 euro. There's also another double room with public bath and toilet for 40 RMB a day, but that's a no go for me. I don't understand why the students have to pay 6 months, because if I look a dates on the calender, there's only 135 school days, so why the extra 45 days? I think it's not fair to be honest.

I don't have any relatives or friends as well, but that wouldn't be a problem for me.

@Aatje89

I will get my tickets tomorrow and head the Chinese embassy on Tuesday. Im flying with Lufthansa, so Amsterdam-Frankfurt-Beijing. Yes, I'm exited as well.

I haven't received my paperwork yet. I already booked my flight from JFK to PEK and will be arriving on the night of 2/14. From what I've read in a previous thread, there should be no problems finding a room. I'm not sure about getting a single, however. You need to pay 6 months up front, but they'll refund you for whatever nights you don't use.

@lww84 @aatje89

I see. I guess you can speak some chinese to get you through the paperwork and stuff to get an apartment off campus?Some friends who've been there said it's kind of a hassle, and definitely not recommended for somebody who speak & read zero chinese like me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. They usually send their admissions notice late, but expect it sometime soon. I don't have mine as I'm a student from the past semester. Just make sure to do all the requirements as soon as you get them so there won't be any problems with the registration at school.

Also, yeah, international dorms are quite expensive, but it's also expensive to live outside (in a flat). At least with the dorm, you don't have to worry about proximity to the classrooms, and also having to clean up. I can't really give tips with dorm life in Tsinghua though as I lived in a flat last semester. >,<

Can try to answer any questions you guys have though.

• New Members

Hey,

Did anyone that received their registration packet get a schedule to go along with it? I have been living in China for a few months already, but am taking a trip to New York until Feb 18th and i never received a packet. I was told to come pick it up this week, but the offices are closed for Chinese new years for the next two weeks :blink: . I was wondering if anyone knows if classes start directly after registration or if we have a few days off to get our visas and everything before we start??? Would prefer not to miss classes and that would mean I have to change my tickets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...