Chinese-Forums

Learning grammar?

Yihui

Can anyone point me to some good resources or websites for learning Mandarin grammar? I'm a Cantonese speaker, and I've been learning Mandaring by myself using dictionaries and websites and such. I've been mostly going about it by learning words and phrases, and equivalents of Canto words. As a result, I find that lots of 方言-isms have crept into my Mandarin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I don't know what's available in the States, but there are some excellent UK resources that I can recommend and that you will certainly be able to order.

Both by Routledge:

ISBN:0415160375 Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook; and

ISBN:0415160391 Intermediate Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook

Both are by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington who were two of my teachers at the University of Leeds during my time as an under-grad there.

You can work through them either in pinyin or in characters and I think they are amongst the best Chinese language learning materials published outside the Chinese speaking world, (and there are not many good ones that aren't from China/TW....)

Hope that helps!