Chinese-Forums

Intensive Summer Programs in Harbin

sleepy eyes

I know it's a bit early, but I'm juggling with several options, so I need as much info as possible, as soon as possible.

If anyone could share their experiences, I would be very grateful. Just any experience related to the language schools in Harbin, not summer programs per se.

I woud like to have info on: prices, housing, method and textbook. Also, if they have something else to offer, like private tutors etc. I'm really much more interested in developing, and learning through, spoken chinese. Characters and whatnot won't be of much interest. I would like to have an immersion and that's why I'm leaning towards Harbin. I'm somewhere awful for immersion, it's like studying Portuguese in Spain, only worse because of tonal matters. I've read a little about Bincai already, but I would like to know more.

Thanks in advance!

Look at summer programs at Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT) and Harbin Engineering University. Both use BLCU books. HEU is good and has alot of Koreans and Russians there so that means you'll be forced more to speak Mandarin vs. English. HIT has a decent program for summer also but way more Americans so when you want to speak some english/eat some 西式 food.

Bincai is likely your most economical choice. They can give you details on pricing and everything else you asked for. You'll overpay for housing, but it is pre-arranged, and finding a short-term rental on your own would be problematic.

Another option is CET Harbin, but that program costs an arm and a leg.

If you're on a budget, go with Bincai. If money isn't a problem, go CET.

Thanks guys! I kinda am on a budget, but I'd still like to know why you would pick CET over Bincai. What are the advantages?

The Bincai website is amazingly detailed and the place seems really nice! I like the textbooks for my level, they have free tutors etc. If I don't find CET overwhelmingly better I'll definitely go there.

I'm in Chongqing and it's awful for immersion, it's like studying Portuguese in Spain, only worse because of tonal matters.

That's interesting. I hadn't realized Chongqing Mandarin was so "non-standard." Have others people had the same problem there?

Another option is CET Harbin, but that program costs an arm and a leg.

If you're on a budget, go with Bincai. If money isn't a problem, go CET.

It's expensive because they hire an American resident director to administer the program on site, the teachers go through very rigorous training, in fact, the lead teacher there also is sent to the US regularly for professional development. I know because she and I go to some of the same conferences together.

The actual mandarin depends on who you are talking to, it's a hit or miss thing.

Thanks for your explanation, @sleepy eyes. I don't want to shift the focus away from the main point of your thread, but what you describe sounds somewhat similar to the situation in Kunming.

I've also lived in Harbin, and did find the "man on the street" everyday language there to be a less perplexing brand of Putonghua than what I've heard a lot of other places.