Chinese-Forums

hokkien and chaozhou hua (and gan and hakka)

michaelm

I'm a little confused on the naming schemes of certain dialects of Chinese. Specifically this:

Is it accurate to call Chaozhou Hua (spoken in Guangdong) Hokkien (mostly spoken in Fujian, Taiwan).

I made a side by side comparison of basic Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Gan and Chaozhou words at thekungpaochicken.com/chinesedialecttest.html but am unsure about whether to call Chaozhou Hua by the more familar name Hokkien or not.

It is misleading to talk of a Min language. Minbei and Minnan are in fact different languages. Hokkien is generally used to refer to Minnan.

Chaozhou language is a dialect of Minnan. Not surprising given their close geographical proximity. Many of the words are the same or similar, but two speakers of the different dialects would have difficulty understanding each other.

Are you sure??

Yeah, Chaozhou has a lot of Cantonese influences. Like word order in comparisons:

I am bigger than you.

Cantonese: 我大过

Chaozhou: 我大过

Fujian Minnan: 我较大

Usage of unequal-comparison prepositional :

Mandarin: 我

Wu: 我 / 我比仔 (Wu equal-comparison, e.g. I am as big as you, preposition is )

Lots of Cantonese vocabulary (pronounced in Chaozhou phonology) are used in Chaozhou.

Chaozhou is mainly a Min language because of its phonology (three-way consonants like all Min/Wu dialects), and certain peculiar ways of asking questions.