Chinese-Forums

Learning simplified characters after tradiitonal

Olle Linge

However, the reason I need the simplified characters is that I'm going to take a course here which requires me to write simplified characters

More power to you! Very cool. From my understanding, while most native Chinese can read both, they can't write both. Just the other day, I had a native Chinese from mainland China try to write the character for "chicken" in traditional Chinese and he could't write it correctly. And my Chinese teachers (they were from Taiwan) in the community college courses I took would mess up a couple of characters when trying to write simplified. I specifically remember one of them couldn't remember how to write the simplified "专".

The deck is now shared in Anki and can be downloaded from within the program by selecting File >> Download >> Shared Deck. I couldn't come up with a very good name, so ended up calling it "Tricky simplifications of traditional characters". Since the description of the deck is searchable, too, I think that everyone who's interested will find it.

• Like 2