Chinese-Forums

Apartments and Houses

Will

• New Members

Hello folks. This is my first post. I've been giving a little bit of thought to moving to China but I don't know where to begin. I'm an American. I'm 28.

How feasible is owning a vehicle as a foreigner?

What kind of living arrangements can I make? Will there be central air if I live in a newly constructed house or apartment in a major city?

What about toilets? What about carpet, tile or linoleum? What do most new houses and apartments have?

What are showers/bathrooms like?

How bad is the crime in the big cities? Are foreigners viewed with suspicion?

I have a ton more questions, but I'll leave it at these for now. Thanks!

Some quick answers which may help a bit. I'm in Shanghai and this influences my answers.

1. I don't think I've ever seen a carpeted apartment. Tile/wooden floors/fake wooden floors, yes, but carpeting, no.

2. Construction quality is generally not very good.

3. I would expect Western style toilets in most major cities. (I can't remember seeing a aquat toilet in Shanghai)

4. If you plan to drive a car, you need to get a Chinese license. I believe requirements vary from city to city but if you have a foreign license, I think you'll just need to take a written test.

Not sure that you actually want or need to own a car though.

5. Serious crime is not a major issue. It happens of course but I think China is safer than the US, especially for a foreigner.

6. Bathrooms/showers are recognisable! (i.e. pretty much what you'd expect)

[Posted in a hurry:edit later for corrections and a few more bits of info]

What kind of living arrangements can I make? Will there be central air if I live in a newly constructed house or apartment in a major city?

You need to do a whole lot more background reading. You probably already knew that, so I don't mean to sound harsh or critical.

But, as to living quarters, you are unlikely to find a "house" in any city in China if by that you mean a free-standing single family dwelling like you might find in suburban USA unless you are very rich. Housing is generally an apartment or a flat in a building with other occupants.

As to air conditioning, it depends on the part of China you live in; and if it is furnished, it's quite likely that it will be a room-by-room affair instead of a central unit. A newly build luxury high rise could be the exception.

Define "very rich".

There are most definitely US-style planed suburbs in/near major Chinese cities. 龙湾别墅 is one, for example, near Beijing. It's of course a bit outside the main city, this one for example is outside the 5th ring, near the airport. I was trying to find the cost; if I did the math right it's about USD 1.2 million for a 3000 square foot house. That may seem like a lot, but it's certainly not out of line with major US cities, especially in California.